Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2014, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I now have an Ultimate Home Lawn Striper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarlo24 View Post
Ok MJB and Ridin' Green... Thanks for your assisstance... I was leaning towards the roller option but will put some more thought into this Mat option...

I will keep the site posted on what I do...

Dan
Well all... I decided to go with the rollers mainly because I had existing holes in a perfect spot on my Gravely WB 34" to mount the roller striper... And also because I bought my Rollers off CL for 2$ a piece... Grand total, I spent 98$, the Striper weighs at least 40lbs and took me total, about 3 hours of my time.. Like MJR_63 and others have said, it was fun doing it... I bought everything at Home Depot which is 3 minutes from my house which was so convenient because no matter how much thought I put into my material list, I had to run back for a couple of washers and bolts... I am not a tool man so I went with the 1/2" axle so I didn't have to increase the whole size of the "L" brackets... My rollers bushing diameter is 7/8" so I used 1/2" sch 40 PVC pipe as my spacers AND as a bushing for inside the wheel... Their is little play from the axle going through my brackets and also the axle going through by rollers... It was perfect... As far as the mounting system on the mower itself, I went with the shoulder bolt with the head cut-off, a hole drilled through the shoulder and a hitch pin for quick disconnect when needed... I used 1/2" bolts everywhere except to attach the upper and lower UniStruts together in which I used 3/8" bolts... 1/2" was to big... The only trouble I had with the hole effort was I thought I cut the 3' 1/2" axle rod a tad to long so I added an extra washer on one end before I put the push cap on and when I tapped on the cap, it was a bit tight for my taste... The rollers rolled but not as nice as the rollers between the brackets... So I tried to take the cap off to remove the extra washer and I couldn't get it off... I was able to loosen the wheels up a bit but I gave up... I wanted to lay down some stripes so I could post some pics... Thanks to MJR_63 who started this post back in 2009... I saved at least 200$...
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2014, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

What size do spacers need to be? Thanks
Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead33 View Post
What size do spacers need to be? Thanks
HH33... It all depends on the rollers you use... I would say most of the rollers used for these striper kits, including mine, have a distance of 3/4" from the the edge of the hole in the middle of the wheel to the edge of the wheel... In other words, the wheels are 3" wide and the hole through the wheel is 1 1/2", so that leaves 3/4" on each side...The design calls for a 1/4" gap between the wheels to keep them from rubbing... So 3/4"+1/4" gap+3/4" = 1 3/4" minus a washer thickness (mine were 1/8" thk) on each side... 1 3/4" - 1/8" - 1/8" = 1 1/2" long spacer between (2) wheels...
Now, between some wheels, you will have the "L" bracket thickness, (2) more washers, (2) 1/8" gaps between the wheel and bracket on each side which will give you (2) shorter spacers instead of one longer spacer... I think my "L" bracket was 3/16" thk so 3/4" + 1/8" gap + 3/16" bracket + 1/8" gap + 3/4" = 1 15/16" total distance between the egde of the hole in the middle of the 2 wheels... NOw 1 15/16" - 1/2" [(4) 1/8" washers] - 3/16" (bracket thickness) = 1 1/2" total spacer length but cut that in 2 becasue you need 2 spacers which each one will be 3/4" long... Now remeber these were my numbers, once you get your rollers, washers and brackets measure them and adjust your dimensions accordingly...

Hope that helps...
Old 05-05-2014, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Well all... I decided to go with the rollers mainly because I had existing holes in a perfect spot on my Gravely WB 34" to mount the roller striper... And also because I bought my Rollers off CL for 2$ a piece... Grand total, I spent 98$, the Striper weighs at least 40lbs and took me total, about 3 hours of my time.. Like MJR_63 and others have said, it was fun doing it... I bought everything at Home Depot which is 3 minutes from my house which was so convenient because no matter how much thought I put into my material list, I had to run back for a couple of washers and bolts... I am not a tool man so I went with the 1/2" axle so I didn't have to increase the whole size of the "L" brackets... My rollers bushing diameter is 7/8" so I used 1/2" sch 40 PVC pipe as my spacers AND as a bushing for inside the wheel... Their is little play from the axle going through my brackets and also the axle going through by rollers... It was perfect... As far as the mounting system on the mower itself, I went with the shoulder bolt with the head cut-off, a hole drilled through the shoulder and a hitch pin for quick disconnect when needed... I used 1/2" bolts everywhere except to attach the upper and lower UniStruts together in which I used 3/8" bolts... 1/2" was to big... The only trouble I had with the hole effort was I thought I cut the 3' 1/2" axle rod a tad to long so I added an extra washer on one end before I put the push cap on and when I tapped on the cap, it was a bit tight for my taste... The rollers rolled but not as nice as the rollers between the brackets... So I tried to take the cap off to remove the extra washer and I couldn't get it off... I was able to loosen the wheels up a bit but I gave up... I wanted to lay down some stripes so I could post some pics... Thanks to MJR_63 who started this post back in 2006... I saved at least 200$...
I have received request for more detail information so I threw this together... I tried to be very detailed so it's alot of information...

Materials for my Roller Style Striping Kit

Wobble rollers – I placed a WANTED ad on Craigslist and found a fella 2 minutes from my house or you can try a marine supply store or EBAY - Try to get smaller inside diameter holes, Mine were 7/8” dia., 3" wide and 5” round. (5” Round is the max if you use the SuperStrut 90 degree angle brackets)

The rest of the Materials were all bought at Home Depot… The underline name was copied and pasted from the home Depot web site in case you have problems getting what you need…
01. Axle, $6.78, Qty 1: Everbilt 1/2 in. x 36 in. Zinc-Plated Round Rod (Model#16880). This is a Plain (not threaded) steel round rod and is used as the Axle for the Wheel assembly. Cut this to fit.

02. Spacers and Inserts, $1.86, Qty 1: 1/2 in. x 10 ft. PVC Sch. 40 Plain-End Pipe (Model#530048). This pipe is cut to suit for the spacers between the wheels and “L” Brackets and as inserts that I slid inside the Roller Bushing to minimize the play between the axle and the inside of the roller.. And the Axle fits perfect with minimal play inside the Spacers and Inserts. For more information, see Wheel Assembly…

03. SuperStrut Channel, $16.09, Qty 1: Superstrut 1 5/8 in. Wide x 13/16 in. High x 10 ft. Long, 12 Gauge Metal Framing Channel, Gold Galvanized. Cut two pieces to length, one for the upper strut and one for the lower strut in the strut assembly. Bolt these together with 3/8" bolts, flat washers, lock washers and nuts.

04. SuperStrut Straight Bracket, $1.84, Qty 2: Superstrut 4-Hole Flat Straight Bracket ( Model#ZX207-10). These are used to slide over my Mower Mounting Shoulder bolt on one end and the other end gets bolted to the SuperStrut Angle Bracket.

05. SuperStrut Angle Bracket, $2.14, Qty 5: Superstrut 4-Hole 90-Degree Angle Bracket ( Model#ZAB205-10). You need 5 of these for the strut - 3 to hold the axle and 2 to go to whatever mounting system you use. Note that one side of the bracket is longer than the other - this comes into play later when you mount the wheels. The short side barely clears the wobble rollers, so you put the long side on the axle and the short side mounts to the strut. You'll see.

06. SuperStrut Nuts, $4.42 for 5-pack, Qty 2 packs: Superstrut 1/2 in. Channel Spring Nuts (Model#ZA1001/2EG-10). These are the nuts that fit inside the strut channels and accept bolts to hold the brackets to the struts. You do not need Hex Nuts when using these and Break off the spring because they are hard to use with the 7/8” channel… You’ll see.

07. SuperStrut Bolts, $4.32 for 5-pack, Qty 2 packs: Superstrut 1/2 in. x 15/16 in. Electro galvanized Hex-Head Bolts (Model#ZE1421/2X15/16EG-10). These are used to fasten the "L" bracket (05) to the SuperStrut channel

08. SuperStrut Washers, $1.49 for 10-pack, Qty 1 pack: Superstrut 1/2 in. Flat Washers (Model#ZE1471/2-10)

09. Hex Bolts 1/2”x1 1/2”, $0.48, Qty 4: Crown Bolt 1/2 in.-16 tpi x 1 1/2 in. Zinc-Plated Hex Bolt (Model#???? or AYB). These Hex Bolts are used for joining the SuperStrut Straight and Angle Brackets.

10. Washers, Cut 1/2", $4.50 for 25-pack or $0.20 a pc, Qty 30-35: Everbilt 1/2 in. Zinc-Plated Cut Washer (Model#08074 for 25-pack or Model#AGB for 1). These Cut washers are used between the wheels, joining the SuperStrut Straight and Angle Brackets and at the mounting point on the lawn mower.

11. Washer, Lock 1/2", $0.21, Qty 4: Crown Bolt 1/2 in. Zinc-Plated Split Lock Washer (Modle#20266 or 000-590-989). These Lock Washers are used for joining the SuperStrut Straight and Angle Brackets.

12. Hex Nuts, 1/2”, $0.20, Qty 4: 1/2 in. Hex Nut Grade 5 Zinc Plated (Model# 000-655-465). These Hex Nuts are used for joining the SuperStrut Straight and Angle Brackets.

13. Hex Bolts 3/8”x1”, $0.20, Qty 4: Crown Bolt 3/8 in.-16 tpi x 1 in. Zinc-Plated Hex Bolt (Model#87196 or AJE). These Hex Bolts are used to attach the upper strut to the lower strut

14. Washers, Cut 3/8", $0.14, Qty 4: Everbilt 3/8 in. Zinc-Plated Cut Washer (Model#????? Or ACB). These Cut washers are used to attach the upper strut to the lower strut

15. Washer, Lock 3/8", $0.20, Qty 4: Crown Bolt 3/8 in. Zinc-Plated Split Lock Washer (Modle#20266 or 000-590-913). These Lock washers are used to attach the upper strut to the lower strut

16. Hex Nuts, 3/8”, $0.12, Qty 4: 3/8 in. Hex Nut Grade 5 Zinc Plated (Model# 000-655-449). These Hex Nuts are used to attach the upper strut to the lower strut.

17. Hex Bolts 1/2”x2 1/2”, $0.70, Qty 2: Crown Bolt 1/2 in.-16 tpi x 2 1/2 in. Zinc-Plated Hex Bolt (Model#???? or BGJ). These Hex Bolts with a shoulder are bolted to the mower as follows: 1st - you need to cut off the head and drill a hole thru the shoulder ~ 1/4” from the end you cut the head off; 2nd - on the inside of the mower start with a nut, lock washer, cut washer; 3rd – on the outside of the mower start with a cut washer, lock washer and nut and tighten them up. Now you use the shoulder of the fastened bolt to mount the Striper and secure it with the hitch Pin Clip.

18. Hitch Pin Clip, 3/8”, $0.75 for 2-pack, Qty 1: Everbilt 3/8 in. Zinc-Plated Hitch Pin Clip (Model#43818 or 887480096286). These lock the SuperStrut straight bracket in place to the 1/2" X2 1/2" Hex Shoulder Bolt mounted on the mower and allow you to mount and dismount the striper with no tools. The size of the Hitch Pin Clip is determined by the size of the hole drilled thru the Shoulder of the Hex Bolt.

19. Cap Push Nut, 1/2", $.68, Qty 2: Everbilt 1/2 in. Zinc-Plated Washer-Cap Push Nut (model#84618). These puch Caps are the last things that go on the axle assembly - the hold it all together.
Roller Assembly

Here is how the rollers assemble on the 1/2" Axle with Part number:
End cap (19), Washer (10), Roller w/ pvc insert (02), Washer (10), Spacer (02), Washer (10), Roller w/ pvc insert (02), Washer (10), Spacer (02), Washer (10), “L” Bracket (05), Washer (10), Spacer (02), Washer (10), Roller w/ pvc insert (02), etc. until you end with a End Cap (19).

Here’s a Tip… You may notice that the wheels are spaced to close because maybe a spacer was cut to short, just add an extra washer…

Spacers and Inserts
I cut inserts out of ½” pvc (02) to fit inside my roller bushing which have a diameter of 7/8”… Each insert was 11/2” long to match the roller bushing… This was to minimize the play between the ½” Axle (01) and the 7/8” diameter roller bushing. The inserts are held into place with a washer (10) on each side of the roller.
The spacers cut of ½” pvc (02) have two different lengths as follows… My rollers are 3" wide and the 7/8” dia. bushing through the wheel is 1 1/2", so that leaves 3/4" from the the edge of the bushing to the edge of the wheel on each side...The design calls for a 1/4" gap between the wheels to keep them from rubbing... So 3/4"+1/4" gap+3/4" = 1 3/4" minus a washer (10) thickness on each side (mine were ~1/8" thk)... 1 3/4" - 1/8" - 1/8" = 1 1/2" long spacer between (2) wheels...
Now, between some wheels, you will have the "L" bracket (05) thickness, 2-more washers (10), 2- 1/8" gaps between the wheel and bracket (05) on each side which will give you (2) shorter spacers (02) instead of one longer spacer... I think my "L" bracket (05) was 3/16" thk so 3/4" + 1/8" gap + 3/16" bracket + 1/8" gap + 3/4" = 1 15/16" total distance between the egde of the bushing in the middle of the 2 wheels... NOw 1 15/16" - 1/2" [(4) 1/8" washers] - 3/16" (bracket thickness) = 1 1/2" total spacer length but cut that in 2 becasue you need 2 spacers which each one will be 3/4" long... Now remeber these were my numbers, once you get your rollers, washers and brackets measure them and adjust your dimensions accordingly...
I used the following link which was Lowes Materials and adjusted the verbage to fit my Striper and Home Depot Material… This Link also has great Pictures: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...=1#post3056746

Good Luck all…
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2014, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Here are more Pics of the Stripes created from my Home Made Striping Kit... These results were after the 4th time I used the Striper in 4 weeks, so once a week... Really works well...
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2014, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Where's the best place to get these wobble rollers. They seem way to expensive online, at least $7-8 a pop. Any place cheaper to get them in bulk?
Old 05-23-2014, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Did you try a marine supply place? They are used on boat trailers. The other place to check, big league sells parts separately from rollers on their site.

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..
Old 05-25-2014, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

If anyone built one of these, doesn't like it, and wants to recoup a few bucks on the rollers by selling/shipping them to me, let me know...
Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Where are you located in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch91 View Post
If anyone built one of these, doesn't like it, and wants to recoup a few bucks on the rollers by selling/shipping them to me, let me know...
Mooch91... I posted a WANTED ad on Craigslist and received a call from a fella who replaced these older style rollers with newer and just wanted to get rid of them... Sold them cheap... With that said, I bought 27 and only used 9... They are like 3 lbs a piece so shipping them would put the cost per roller to high I would think... Where are you located in NJ because I am in Gloucester County???

Dan
Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I am not a tool man so I went with the 1/2" axle so I didn't have to increase the whole size of the "L" brackets... My rollers bushing diameter is 7/8" so I used 1/2" sch 40 PVC pipe as my spacers AND as a bushing for inside the wheel...
Finally got some wheels, which are also 7/8" diameter like yours. Can you explain how you used the PVC pipe for spacers and bushings? Did you cut them to the width of the wheel for the bushing and then have an independent cut spacer next to that, or did you cut a one piece bushing and spacer for each wheel, or did you attach multiple wheels to the same length of pipe as a bushing and spacer?

I imagine the wheels would roll somewhat differently depending on which method you used.

Thanks!