Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-28-2014, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't have to use gas with flux core. I have a millermatic 210 and use c25 with 70s6 wire. I have used flux core only a few times but no gas is necessary.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some fluxcore does require a shielding gas as well. Dual shield. Hey recycledsole how close are you to Middle River?
Old 04-28-2014, 04:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use flux core wire with a mig and you don't need shielding gas. Flux is used for welding outside where the wind would blow shielding gas away. The mis-information in this thread is crazy.

Mig welding is not hard. The welder settings are posted on the inside door of most welders. A 110 mig would weld expanded metal just fine. Get flux core and no shielding gas/bottle is needed. Helmets can be gotten cheap too. If you have a friend who can do it for cheap have him do it. If you are paying a welding shop, look around for a cheap welder and do it yourself. It will come in handy many times for welding on trailers, trailer racks, etc.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is not wrong, to use self fluxed wire as these little machines do must be very good product wire and not much of a breeze around to lay a good weld with those things or its pin hole city and a tap will break the weld. Our local shop uses one and around shop fans welds make sad lol.

I am also a welder over 10years and worked boiler makers the small machines are for small jobs, not welding on 7-10 gauge steel. Especially on a heavy duty mower taking a beating everyday. The only time I would use one is for a quick fix till I got to a real welder for real steel.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
Use flux core wire with a mig and you don't need shielding gas. Flux is used for welding outside where the wind would blow shielding gas away. The mis-information in this thread is crazy.

Mig welding is not hard. The welder settings are posted on the inside door of most welders. A 110 mig would weld expanded metal just fine. Get flux core and no shielding gas/bottle is needed. Helmets can be gotten cheap too. If you have a friend who can do it for cheap have him do it. If you are paying a welding shop, look around for a cheap welder and do it yourself. It will come in handy many times for welding on trailers, trailer racks, etc.
I like the site design you have need more graphics/images to spruce it up a little.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&M Lawncare View Post
It is not wrong, to use self fluxed wire as these little machines do must be very good product wire and not much of a breeze around to lay a good weld with those things or its pin hole city and a tap will break the weld. Our local shop uses one and around shop fans welds make sad lol.

I am also a welder over 10years and worked boiler makers the small machines are for small jobs, not welding on 7-10 gauge steel. Especially on a heavy duty mower taking a beating everyday. The only time I would use one is for a quick fix till I got to a real welder for real steel.
Buddy your absolutely wrong and backwards about this. Use stick and flux core in the wind so your gas don't blow away.

Honestly I'd be surprised if you ever laid a bead.

The OP got what he needed so let it die before people start to Google your nonsense.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You cannot beat stick for welding outside. I learned on stick. Went to college for it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2014, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Never said anything about stick welding, just the cheap mig flux but hey if you like then go for it lol