Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-09-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Wright Z faulty fuel gauge

I appreciated the fuel tanks were replaced under callback/warranty earlier this year. When new the fuel gauge was working fine. Then within a short period of time the gauge indicated E for empty even when the tank was not empty.

Today I asked my dealer if I could pull the gauge out carefully to check for binding; OK. Now I found no binding or other obvious problem except the dry float sinks in gasoline. But it floats in water! There is no problem with the grommet and there are no leaks. What happened?
Old 09-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Sponsor

allantate,

Its a random issue that is being looked into with the vendor that we have seen in the old and the new tanks that has yet to be explained. Seems to be happening to a few OEM's using that gauge best we can do at the moment is have the dealer replace it.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allantate View Post
I appreciated the fuel tanks were replaced under callback/warranty earlier this year. When new the fuel gauge was working fine. Then within a short period of time the gauge indicated E for empty even when the tank was not empty.

Today I asked my dealer if I could pull the gauge out carefully to check for binding; OK. Now I found no binding or other obvious problem except the dry float sinks in gasoline. But it floats in water! There is no problem with the grommet and there are no leaks. What happened?
I replaced the gauge with one for a ferris 3100 that was a little longer; solved the problem. I will save the old gauge if you want it. Buoyancy was restored after some drying time but lasted only a few hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Sponsor

allantate,

The vendor has discovered the issue, they had a batch of the floats that did not cure properly and developed air pockets in the material, these pockets fill with gas and then sink the float.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Mine is doing this exact thing. I'd like to take it into the dealer to have it fixed but I'd rather not my machine set at the dealer for weeks because that is what happens every time. Thank you Wright for clearing this up, I was wondering what was going on with my gauge.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

which years had fuel tanks recalled? my 36'' is leaking around the fuel guage and the cap doesn't like to come off anymore, like the ''clicker'' thing to prevent overtightening is stripped out
Old 05-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

You would have received letters if your mower was under the fuel tank recall, it effected mowers with the 6 gallon tank in the 39706-46158 serial range. the fuel gauge leak is likely a worn grommet, and we released a dealer service bulletin in June 2011 regarding a bad batch of fuel caps.

Best Regards,
Wright Mfg.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i purchased that mower in 2012, but i know it was leftover from the previous years because of the motor, it still has the 18hp. its fresh out of warranty too, i was a few days out when i discovered the problem this year. would gas cap still be covered if theres a service bulletin? i'd be happy if one was just sent to me and i'll send the old one back
Old 05-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

If you contact us we will ship you the part, 301-360-9810.

Best Regards,
Wright Mfg.

Tags
faulty float , wright z. fuel gauge