Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2014, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

2001 Grasshopper 725k

Hello,

I recently picked up a 2001 Grasshopper 725K with 500 hours on it. Should I flush the transmissions & change fluid & filters? I have seen people mention flushing the system. What does that entail? How do I do it?
Thank you
Old 04-28-2014, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No flushing required for general maintenance, Only when a pump or wheel motor fails and contaminates the system with metal shavings.

Just drain the oil and change the filters.....

Always fill new filter(s) with oil if possible before installing, Once the system is re-filled raise and block the drive wheels off the ground. Start the engine and run about 3/4 throttle, Move the controls full forward then full reverse slowly 10 to 12 times then re-check fluid level.

Set the unit on the ground and test run. I use this method on all brand units with no problems.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-28-2014, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
No flushing required for general maintenance, Only when a pump or wheel motor fails and contaminates the system with metal shavings.

Just drain the oil and change the filters.....

Always fill new filter(s) with oil if possible before installing, Once the system is re-filled raise and block the drive wheels off the ground. Start the engine and run about 3/4 throttle, Move the controls full forward then full reverse slowly 10 to 12 times then re-check fluid level.

Set the unit on the ground and test run. I use this method on all brand units with no problems.
Would you recommend an oil & filter change with 500 hours? Which oil would you recommend? Which filter? I am thinking of picking up another machine that I know has slow hydro's and would still appreciate info on how to flush a system.
Thank you in advance!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Slave View Post
Would you recommend an oil & filter change with 500 hours? Which oil would you recommend? Which filter?
Yes, If these are Hydro Gear units they recommend 500 hrs and 20W50 engine oil. Any filter that's for your machine application will work, The only way I'd consider a machine with a weak hydro system is if it runs good (engine for something else) and is nearly given away.......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hydros could be slow due to bad tension idlers on pump belts, bad pump belts, low oil level, plugged filters. However, you can dump a lot of money into these hydros if it is serious. Are you looking at a machine with the older Gemini (Eaton), hydros? If so, I would pass on that, unless it is nearly free, as Restrorob mentioned. Eatons are almost impossible to rebuild, super expensive to replace and some of those trans. are no longer available at all.