Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Explaining Different Stripe Patterns to Customers

I have a handful of customers both residential and commercial that insist on mowing the lawn in the same stripe pattern every week. After a few mows this year already I can tell this may be issue since I have already been asked to cut in the same pattern every week. This came after I cut in a different direction on my most recent mows. I don't know if its because of different types of grass, temp., land layout, etc. but I have always learned to cut in different directions/patterns to keep from damaging the grass. Told my few customers that and apparently that wasn't good enough. Does anyone have a better way to answer this or should I just let it go and mow the same pattern every time.
Thanks
2013 John Deere Z445 54"
7x12 Homemade Trailer
6.5x10 Homemade Trailer
Ryobi Trimmer
Stihl Trimmer
Stihl Chainsaw
Stihl Backpack Blower
Husqvarna Backpack Blower
Husqvarna Pole Saw
Old 04-28-2014, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisecarverLawnCare View Post
I have a handful of customers both residential and commercial that insist on mowing the lawn in the same stripe pattern every week. After a few mows this year already I can tell this may be issue since I have already been asked to cut in the same pattern every week. This came after I cut in a different direction on my most recent mows. I don't know if its because of different types of grass, temp., land layout, etc. but I have always learned to cut in different directions/patterns to keep from damaging the grass. Told my few customers that and apparently that wasn't good enough. Does anyone have a better way to answer this or should I just let it go and mow the same pattern every time.
Thanks
It creates ruts also, talk to them again on a more " defiant answer" term and see if they are set with that look for them or offer to try out a couple others and also that (if kept up with) will stop making ruts etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2014, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scag2015 View Post
It creates ruts also, talk to them again on a more " defiant answer" term and see if they are set with that look for them or offer to try out a couple others and also that (if kept up with) will stop making ruts etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes it does, forgot to mention that one as well. I want the account holder happy, but I also want too do a good job throughout the season. I don't want to deal with losing an account at the end of the year and future accounts because the client wasn't happy with the lawn at the end of the year because of ruts and damaged lawns. Then they tell so and so, and on and on until the company name is tarnished over something I said in the first place… some people, I swear.
2013 John Deere Z445 54"
7x12 Homemade Trailer
6.5x10 Homemade Trailer
Ryobi Trimmer
Stihl Trimmer
Stihl Chainsaw
Stihl Backpack Blower
Husqvarna Pole Saw
Old 04-29-2014, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It takes practice to lay down a good stripe pattern.
And more practice to put down a nice cross pattern.
Yes, the cross pattern has to look just as good.

But wait until you have it down and your customers trained to do things your way...
And one day you forget to switch patterns, and they call you to ask if you could please switch back and forth every cut.

Last edited by herler; 04-29-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yes it does, forgot to mention that one as well. I want the account holder happy, but I also want too do a good job throughout the season. I don't want to deal with losing an account at the end of the year and future accounts because the client wasn't happy with the lawn at the end of the year because of ruts and damaged lawns. Then they tell so and so, and on and on until the company name is tarnished over something I said in the first place… some people, I swear.
Yeah your exactly right!, so I'd ask them and be a little "oh though I'd mention this" you know come across something like that. And if there stuck on what they have kept shortly explain what it can do to the grass. But I guess what it boils down to is , the customer is right even when he's wrong so if they do want to keep it just tell them these are the results that would happen the the turf, so if they did not like those ruts etc that come you could politely tell them that's what I was telling you. Then maybe they will let you switch it up , or like I said above^^ then your reputation should not be faded through that customer or others hopefully
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2014, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Sounds like you already understand the problem and what to do about it.

If they don't want to compromise, it may be in your best interest to move on.
The customer is NOT always right and in the end, do you want to lose one customer, or potentially several.

This is the same as the "cut it shorter next time" idiots. "Oh, sure. I'll scalp your lawn and make it look like crap and then you drop me and nobody else will hire me because your lawn looks like crap."
Buh - bye.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

You can offset your patern by a few inches every time or change the angle by a few degrees. Might make for an extra pass here and there, but prevents rutting and losing a client.

A house in my neighbor hood gets cut about every 5 days. The guy goes in the exact same spots every time. Grass is green, but it looks like a fluted column. I cut mine just as often, but I either adjust the amount of overlap on my second peritemter pass, or change the angle by about 5degrees. No ruts and the stripe patern always "looks" the same

Or grind the pattern is and sub out a Top dressing. Just make sure to explain that part of the bill up front.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2014, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Sounds like you already understand the problem and what to do about it.

If they don't want to compromise, it may be in your best interest to move on.
The customer is NOT always right and in the end, do you want to lose one customer, or potentially several.

This is the same as the "cut it shorter next time" idiots. "Oh, sure. I'll scalp your lawn and make it look like crap and then you drop me and nobody else will hire me because your lawn looks like crap."
Buh - bye.
Yea I have these "cut it short guys" also. Most of them want to get away with bi-weekly cuts and ask to have it cut at 2 inches…. some guy even wanted an inch and a half tall cut. I wouldn't do it.
2013 John Deere Z445 54"
7x12 Homemade Trailer
6.5x10 Homemade Trailer
Ryobi Trimmer
Stihl Trimmer
Stihl Chainsaw
Stihl Backpack Blower
Husqvarna Pole Saw
Old 04-30-2014, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yea I have these "cut it short guys" also. Most of them want to get away with bi-weekly cuts and ask to have it cut at 2 inches…. some guy even wanted an inch and a half tall cut. I wouldn't do it.
Yep me too! Even had a customer ask that today!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2014, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scag2015 View Post
Yep me too! Even had a customer ask that today!
Posted via Mobile Device
Some People….
2013 John Deere Z445 54"
7x12 Homemade Trailer
6.5x10 Homemade Trailer
Ryobi Trimmer
Stihl Trimmer
Stihl Chainsaw
Stihl Backpack Blower
Husqvarna Pole Saw

Tags