Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2014, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I figured the guy who owned the group home would be okay with price since I am sure he has companies mowing his other places. I lowered it to $75 a week ONLY because I want to land this job with hopes of potentially being hired to do other properties of his (I am pretty sure he owns one a stone throws away from my house). We will see where I goes, still waiting to hear back.

The other quote was for an older lady, her grass really hasn't even grown yet so I think she is just waiting until its ready to let me know. She said she would call either way to tell me.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some jobs if you want to keep them you must bid lower to secure it, one of our commercial clients re-opened their bids we dropped $60 off our original bid to ensure we kept it. We have had that place for almost a decade.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLugNutZ View Post
Im doing an acre for $45 (will go to $50 next year, its my wifes cousin who already said he would be willing to pay $50 but we agreed on $45 for this year) and there is a guy that does about 10 houses in the neighborhood that is only charging $35.... $35 for a DAMN ACRE WITH A TON OF TRIMMING. HOW THE HELL!?!?! I was like WHAT!?! So I was going to do his neighbor accross the street for $45 (also an acre but no fence so like half the trimming) and this guy may actually baulk at the price since MR cheepo is running around saying $35. I basically did my wifes cousing knowing I would get his neighbor but now it looks like I wont so im kind of pissed. He is about a 15 min ride from home base... The furthest I wanted to go...
Last fall a man called me for a quote. He complained about the poor trimming, poor edging with the 1" wide dirt gap between the grass and the pavement, side walk, curb. 1/4 acre gave him a $35 price.

He then went on and on how he lived in a $30 neighborhood. I pointed out that he did not live in a $30 area but where people only wanted to spend $30. Yet expected $35 service.

I further explained how there are service providers that want to make their $210 a day. So 6 lawns at $35 = $210. They are willing to do 7 lawns at $30 a day so they still get their $210 for the day.

Now to do 7 lawns in a day they have to get done quicker. The only way to get more lawns done is to cut corners and not be careful. All they see is they are making their $210 and have no problem providing substandard service.

That leaves you the customer to decide whether you want cheap service or pay for the level of service that you want. I would lose money to provide the level of service at the price that you want to pay. No one can run a business that way. To top it off the guy wanted to come on board for a Thursday or Friday mow that only paid $35.

More money is made selling service then selling price.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

We will see what happens, I am not going any lower than that, that is more than a fair price.

Tags
bidding help , price , price standards , pricing , pruning