Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2014, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Congrat on the new machine!

You will like it quite well I'm sure. I think you were smart to go with the std deck. The MOD works in the wet really well once you remove the two baffles underneath (Even the manual suggest removing them unless you plan to mulch a lot), but with them in, you will get some clumping.

I doubt you'll notice the difference in power between the 930 and the 950 unless you regularly cut tall and thick grass. Then the 950 would be a bit better. My dealer was trying to sell me a 930 when I bought my 950, but I knew what I wanted and I stuck to my guns.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb007 View Post
I purchased a striper for it also for $199.00 the holes are already predrilled in the deck for this striper but for some reason they made it way to long it goes fromone side of the rear tires to the other! I thought striper kits were supposed to go from t inside to inside of the rear tires not almost to the outside.It could be made to cut off about 6 inches off each side but why they would do that I have no clue.
Which striper kit did you get? Congratulations, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Mine is leaving pretty nice stripes with no striping kit.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For you guys with new machines-

Set the front to rear pitch on the blades themselves when pointing straight front to rear at 3/8" with no one in the operators seat. If you can get someone your approx weight to sit on it while you set pitch, set it at 1/4". They tend to come from the factory at about 1/8" - 3/16" pitch, and not always correct from side to side. The cut will be better when pitched correctly, and the stripes will show better as well. I've played with all this stuff on several JD's now ALOT, and have it down pretty well by now. Set the pitch over smooth concrete. Even minor birdbath dips or humps can throw the pitch off. I use JD's deck leveling gauge, and have for about 10 years now. It makes setting pitch easy peasy.

Set your rear tires pressure to 12 psi before pitching the deck. 10 works, but is kinda soft and flexes too much on side hill mowing. The manual recommends 12, and there's a good reason for it.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONO2 View Post
Which striper kit did you get? Congratulations, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Mine is leaving pretty nice stripes with no striping kit.
Im not sure of the name brand.I purchased it from the JD dealer and there not in boxes but they are very heavy duty units.I also purchased a chute blocker made by advanced chute systems but when I tried to install it today I found that one of the bushings and 1 bolt was missing so now I have to take it back which really stinks.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought 930M this year with a 60" 7 Iron deck on it.. I love this machine!!! I have been commercial cutting with ZTR's since 1998 starting with Dixie Choppers. I have had 4 Dixie Choppers and 3 JD's and this one is the best one I have ever had.. I have cut some very thick lush grass and have not bogged the engine down yet!! The cut is excellent!! It is the fastest JD that I have ever had. I wish I had known about the suspension seat. I got a pretty good deal.. $8200 plus tax!!
Old 04-28-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoutharkBob View Post
I bought 930M this year with a 60" 7 Iron deck on it.. I love this machine!!! I have been commercial cutting with ZTR's since 1998 starting with Dixie Choppers. I have had 4 Dixie Choppers and 3 JD's and this one is the best one I have ever had.. I have cut some very thick lush grass and have not bogged the engine down yet!! The cut is excellent!! It is the fastest JD that I have ever had. I wish I had known about the suspension seat. I got a pretty good deal.. $8200 plus tax!!
Thats the exact same price I got $8200.00 + 6.75 sales tax
Old 04-29-2014, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Am i getting a good deal?

John Deere Z930A for $10,485
Trade in Z810A with 230hrs They are giving me $6385.00

After Taxes and trade in $4269.13

Never had a problem with my Z810 other than under power with tall wet grass. I was surprise they gave me that much for trade in. Another Dealer was only giving me $3K
Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the forum.

It doesn't sound like that great a deal on the 930A, but then, maybe that's why they are giving you such a great deal on the 810. They know that now is the time when folks go looking for a new to them mower, and the dealer knows he can sell your 810 to someone else pretty easily at the moment. It all comes out in their favor in the end. It always does.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Welcome to the forum.

It doesn't sound like that great a deal on the 930A, but then, maybe that's why they are giving you such a great deal on the 810. They know that now is the time when folks go looking for a new to them mower, and the dealer knows he can sell your 810 to someone else pretty easily at the moment. It all comes out in their favor in the end. It always does.
Thank you for the welcome. I called 2 other dealers and they only gave me $3K for my trade in. And the Z930 was $9195 plus tax. I still came out ahead with the higher price dealer. Cant wait to try this bad boy out.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You'll like it quite well I am betting.

BTW- there is a recall/update on the fuel filter to be aware of, and an update for the gas tank protection up at the filler neck. Ask your dealer to make sure all of that is taken care of. It's easy too do, but a dealer should be doing it before selling it.