Register free!

Old 04-28-2014, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
What are you talking about you have the biggest walmart right up the road and beef isn't an industry??? What about all that SOD around there too... Lets not even get started with Rotonda what a joke.
Rotonda was a victim of Tree Hugger laws in January of 1979. They dug their canals in the wrong direction. By the time they wanted to break into the Gulf of Mexico in early 1979, Florida ban drenching. As a result Rotonda never had salt water access. Just a stones throw away is world famous tarpon fishing in Boca Grande Pass. Boca Grande Pass is in Lee County not Charlotte.

Walmart Distribution center isn't in Charlotte county, It is in Desoto county. They pay Minimums wage.

Beef and Sod are industries, but once again not enough actively in Charlotte county to make an economy impact. Most cattle in Charlotte county are being paid to grazing on investment property to get the agriculture property tax break.

The closest thing to an industry in Charlotte county, is Health Care for senior citizens. Charlotte county has the oldest average age population in the World. The largest employer in the county is the county.

BTW Between Cecil M Webb wildlife reserve and Babcock Ranch, the state of Florida owns half of the land in Charlotte county.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I am trying to move to Florida by the end of the year and may be interested, I have had my own part time business in PA for the last 15 Years and wanted to go full time when we move. Would like to know some more details.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
What are you talking about you have the biggest walmart right up the road and beef isn't an industry??? What about all that SOD around there too... Lets not even get started with Rotonda what a joke.
As already stated Walmart isn't Charlotte county. Rotonda has golf courses and retirees. I agree there is virtually zero industry in Charlotte county. Biggest industry besides health care was contruction of new houses for retiring snow birds but that died after the housing bubble. This place is an economic dead zone.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
As already stated Walmart isn't Charlotte county. Rotonda has golf courses and retirees. I agree there is virtually zero industry in Charlotte county. Biggest industry besides health care was contruction of new houses for retiring snow birds but that died after the housing bubble. This place is an economic dead zone.
POINT OF ORDER:: FLORIDA IS OVER LOADED WITH GRASS CUTTERS.

I don't Live in Charlotte county but I do business in Charlotte county. Home Building is starting to pick back up. One of the complaints I heard is all the Constructions workers have moved away and there is a shortage. About two years ago I noticed an increase in my business that has not stopped. I did nothing special, it is the economy of Florida in general. Hurricane Charlie put a hurt on me that I will never recover from. But I am in better financial shape now than I have been in years.

Point of Fact FLORIDA WAGES ARE LOW COMPARED TO THE NORTH. But so is cost of Living. We have no income tax and My property Tax after Homestead exemption is $ 300 a year. Housing costs are some of the lowest in the country. It is not what you make, but what you keep.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Business is good, I'm up 60% year over year. I was just agreeing with your point there is no industry to speak of in Charlotte county that's all. With that said 6-8 years ago my phone rang off the hook. Not now. I've just adapted to times and offer different things. Spend a lot of time thatching from work subbed from other lco's. I also hydroseeded a big road and wall project in burnt store last week. Offering services others dont has been my saving grace. Chasing residential mowing is for the birds these days. In my humble opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
POINT OF ORDER:: FLORIDA IS OVER LOADED WITH GRASS CUTTERS.

I don't Live in Charlotte county but I do business in Charlotte county. Home Building is starting to pick back up. One of the complaints I heard is all the Constructions workers have moved away and there is a shortage. About two years ago I noticed an increase in my business that has not stopped. I did nothing special, it is the economy of Florida in general. Hurricane Charlie put a hurt on me that I will never recover from. But I am in better financial shape now than I have been in years.

Point of Fact FLORIDA WAGES ARE LOW COMPARED TO THE NORTH. But so is cost of Living. We have no income tax and My property Tax after Homestead exemption is $ 300 a year. Housing costs are some of the lowest in the country. It is not what you make, but what you keep.