Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2014, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking for suggestions on a MANUAL pole saw/pruner/Lopper

Most of my jobs have been below 12'. Usually, I'm capable of reaching most(so far) with a ladder and medium-sized loppers & a hand saw. Looking for an extendable-type that covers all the bases below 12' & up to say 20'(not lopping, but sawing at that height). Having the up to 12' be as LIGHT as possible would be a major plus.
For like, crown thinning Crepe myrtles & larger Jap. Maples.

Also, I'm not looking for cheap as much as value.

Any suggestions(from personal experience) would be greatly appreciated,

Last edited by Twinlakes; 04-29-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

www.jamesonllc.com
Old 04-29-2014, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Sthil manual pole saw that is awsome. Very sharp, i have only had it for just over a year but so far so good.

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..
Old 04-29-2014, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Jameson pole. Foam filled fiberglass. Top of the line, with their center cut pruner, a saw head, and a cable hook end. I really don't think there is anything better out there.

But, the fiberglass poles are heavier than the wood equivalent. The 6' lengths of fiberglass pole are just a tad heavier than the same length of wood in a Seymour Smith pole pruner of mine, and you can really feel it when you put three poles together.

Still, I reach for the fiberglass more, because it is a little stiffer, and that makes a big difference when sawing (not on the pull stroke, where bite on the cut comes from the curve of the blade, but on the push stroke where springiness in the pole causes your saw to bounce out of the kerf).

I have a few blades. Silky is known for their blades. As is Hyabusa (if I spelled that right). Stihl blades look about the same. Right now I switch between two different Fiskars blades. One looks like the Stihl blade (if you know saw blade design, it is a "fleam blade" of the same style as the previous three sources). The other is a "woodzig" type blade that sharpens with a round file like a chainsaw. The former is a little more aggressive, and can get stuck more easily in some situations when I switch to the latter. In any case, I spray my blades with silicone to prevent sticking, and it keeps sap from gumming them up.

The trees you described may be easier to lop than saw. Just a note, if you're lopping with a pole and rope, wrap the rope about 1 turn around the pole every 10 feet. If you don't, the pole will bow in the direction the rope pulls.

Last edited by rlitman; 04-29-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just looked up the Stihl PP900 pole pruner. The picture online looks like a dead ringer for the Jameson setup I have, although I do not know if the Stihl is foam filled and tested for dielectric strength.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up one of these at Lesco years ago. Aluminum sliding pole is very light. Lopper works well and saw is still very sharp. Don't dismiss it based on price until you try one. Inexpensive but good tool. http://www.benmeadows.com/wolf-garte...140430021413:s
Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That price is just for the pole. From what I've seen, they're actually not inexpensive at all.
However, Wolf Garten makes super quality stuff, most with the same custom quick detach system (they call it multi-star). You can get a rake for that same pole if you want an extra long rake (doing a zen garden maybe). Weeders, edgers, they make all sorts of stuff to fit.

Sorry I can't find the page in English (their US site does not show hand tools), but this should give you an idea of what they make:
https://www.wolf-garten.de/index.php?id=111&no_cache=1
Old 04-30-2014, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
I just looked up the Stihl PP900 pole pruner. The picture online looks like a dead ringer for the Jameson setup I have, although I do not know if the Stihl is foam filled and tested for dielectric strength.
Thanks, I couldn't remember the model that i got when i was replying, I am not sure about foam filling though.

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..
Old 05-02-2014, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I really appreciate the suggestions guys.
Been looking into the Stihl product and will probably end up going that direction due to service, support & of course the price!

Thanks again,
Old 05-28-2014, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I've tried Lesco's pole pruner, Used one time, you can have it! It's heavy and the hook type cutter head does not allow for flush cuts. At around $90 it was not worth it.
I've run a wolf system pole pruner with anvil head pruner and pruning saw (with short handle) for at least 15 years and love it. I've replaced the pole once because it was worn out and once because some dingbat broke it. (Which is why I tried the other one .....) Lightweight, nice operation, interchangeable heads. I priced a full replacement once and it would have cost around $300 I think for the pole, pruning head, saw and short handle. $20/year ain't bad.

You did specify "Manual", which Stihl obviously isn't.