Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2014, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIRCH'S View Post
This is my first year and I haven't done near the amount of advertising I should have. I am starting to put out more flyers but I should have done more earlier.
As of today I have 4 weeklies and 2 bi-weeklies and those all came from CL. I am getting calls but only getting maybe a third of my estimates. Which I am taking as I am pricing myself fairly well.
I do miss quite a few calls while I am mowing. Any SOLO guys using a phone service of any kind? If so how's it working?
Try keeping your phone in your pocket and get noise reduction headaches while working.

If you're landing every estimate you do, your prices are too low. Especially when getting craigslist leads. They often contact a handful of people and shop price only. Nature of the biz, better to make money then have too much work you aren't getting paid enough for.

I try not to get pissed about low balling but it's hard when I give fair market prices and then get beat out by $5 for a half acre lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
Try keeping your phone in your pocket and get noise reduction headaches while working.

If you're landing every estimate you do, your prices are too low. Especially when getting craigslist leads. They often contact a handful of people and shop price only. Nature of the biz, better to make money then have too much work you aren't getting paid enough for.

I try not to get pissed about low balling but it's hard when I give fair market prices and then get beat out by $5 for a half acre lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
I lost one by 3 dollars Mowed it for last 7-8 years
They told me that but wants me still do the Snow and lawn treatments. Since there new mow guy doesn't do snow or Lawn treatments
I told them Nope if I don't do everything I don't do it.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Lost a couple accounts to super low ballers but I guess that's part of the game. Had a great start gaining business so far though. Tons of new mowing
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can't believe how cold it is. Trying to mow today and the cold just went right to the bone. So our first application is done we have 52 out of 60 clean ups done and were in the middle of our first week of mowing. Going to have 170 accounts this year I down sized a little and no longer have employees. The negative side its a lot of work, the plus side my partner and I will see 15-20k a month after expenses and the overhead is paid. So I am going to be enjoying this year a lot I'm finally getting a real pay check.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
I can't believe how cold it is. Trying to mow today and the cold just went right to the bone. So our first application is done we have 52 out of 60 clean ups done and were in the middle of our first week of mowing. Going to have 170 accounts this year I down sized a little and no longer have employees. The negative side its a lot of work, the plus side my partner and I will see 15-20k a month after expenses and the overhead is paid. So I am going to be enjoying this year a lot I'm finally getting a real pay check.
More cold is coming your way Saturday was in shorts now back in paints and a coat
Tonight here talking low 30s highs for Wed. high 40s
Old 05-02-2014, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
So the two of you are going to do 170 accounts per week. God bless you. You will be burned out by July. The money will be great but you won't have time to enjoy it.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:19 AM

170 accounts for 2 people? What a nightmare! I agree with the above that you are risking burnout
This year is starting off slooooow for me in the new customer department and I need a lot new ones . Low 50s out there now. Just when you think the chill is gone for good, it returns. Upper 80s by Sunday, but I am sure the chill will be back soon

Last edited by Charles; 05-02-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do 10 yards a day and I feel like absolute crap. 170 a week? You must be a machine.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Sponsor

We do 175 with 4 guys and 2 rigs. You guys must run on redbull and wheaties all week!
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 05-02-2014, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpocket View Post
So the two of you are going to do 170 accounts per week. God bless you. You will be burned out by July. The money will be great but you won't have time to enjoy it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the both drive a truck. So 18 a day for each of them.

I agree 100% with them getting burnt out but I guess well see
Posted via Mobile Device