Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2014, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Worst thing about being young in the business

So i can't say that this has come up on here yet. I know many of you, including myself, are still in high school. What do you hate the most about being in school and doing this kind of work? I hate only being able to work on the weekends. It also drives me crazy that i can't answer my phone in school to answer for a potential client. Lets not turn this in to a discussion of how to run a business, just what is the thing or things you younger guys hate?
Old 05-03-2014, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I always hated the " lawn boy" mentality of some customers.

Giving a price to do a cleanup and having them look at you and say " well I figured for a couple hours of work I could give you $20 and a box of cookies"..........

Or you could pay me the $125 I quoted you for
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2014, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the perception of "lack of".... ethics, responsibility, time management, trustworthy, knowledge, long term commit.... Do you want me to go on? haha.

I really applaud anyone out there still in their teens who are actually "working". I'm 33 and started mowing for spending money in jr. high. I don't think that teens had quite as "lazy" of a reputation back in the late 90's as they do today, but between the xbox, ps4, ipad, whatever, a lot of kids have that lazy mentality.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I hate having the limited hours to work and only being able to call people after school.

I don't like the mentality of some people who expect you to have a lot lower prices just because you're a kid.

I do like the respect I get from teachers, friends, and other people because I'm running my own business at this age and I'm someone in this generation who isn't afraid to work with my hands.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Im 17 also and am a junior in highschool. I always answer my phone during school. Some teachers are cool withit or I just ask to go to restroom. I do my estimates/billing in study hall.
Just a big balancing act
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
the perception of "lack of".... ethics, responsibility, time management, trustworthy, knowledge, long term commit.... Do you want me to go on? haha.
Pretty well summed up what I was going to say.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 05-04-2014, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

25 here but been at it a while, people asking how old i am or "how long I've been doing this"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i remember when i was 23, and working for a spray company how many of the customers on my route that finally got the chance to meet me in person didn't give me much of a chance because i "looked like i was still in high school".. or they would call in to complain that the company just sent a "boy" out to evaluate the lawn and used the fact that i look young to dis-credit any of my advice about the lawn. I hated that. Now i'm just an old grey headed fart, and don't have that problem. ahh, to be young again. time flies! lol.

Servicing Dallas, Acworth, Kennesaw, & Woodstock, Ga
Old 05-04-2014, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I hate sitting in school when I could be making money
Old 05-04-2014, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Good thread!

Im 23. Some people are great, but I definitely dislike the immediate lack of respect people show when a young guy gets out of a nice new truck when they call me.

I try to be very aware of body language and facial expressions and sometimes I notice right off the bat, a stupid smirk or "oh boy" look when I get out of the truck or they come out to meet me. Then they put on a front/ fake personality thing where they act like they're the "adult" and you're the "kid".

I find you just have to be better at playing their game than they are.

One guy who I got this vibe from last year laughed at my price, my contract and wanted me to change all of it, and was very disrespectful to me and my business. Goes without saying I didn't end up doing business with him. If people show that they don't care about me or my business, I don't care about them, their house/lawn/project. Simple as that. I think it saves a good amount of headaches.

I also dislike when people discredit my advice. Happens all the time. If they don't want to believe me they don't have to. I also like proving myself after the fact, or walking away and keeping my cool. Either works for me.

Tags
business young , owner