Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good points, Skip. I remember the old Days at Tur Green when sometimes we would get completely caught up because it was so much quicker to apply dry fert in July. Sometimes they would take a salesman off sales and give him a truck and a spreader. Seven applicators instead of six. So they would tell us to go ahead--so what if the customer got their next treatment a few days early? But sometimes if we didn't have any rain days it would get a week early --or more.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

cold soil temps + ponding of water

We're getting the same weather as you. 5 days of cold rain. Soil temps are only in the mid 40's, and soils are saturated. Here in central Iowa, we've had 6 months of cold/wet weather. It's May already, and the trees aren't even leafed out! This spring = if it ain't raining, we get very high winds.

Thinking about moving to Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
You treat lawns according to the conditions presented to you. Not on a calendar schedule. Period.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Weather conditions dictate my schedule. If we are in a drought I don't apply, if the lawns are saturated and they are squishy, I don't apply. The last two years some of my customers didn't get all their applications due to drought one year and a late start and early end to the season the next. If they prepaid I give them a credit for the next season. I have had one customer complain, that's it.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
Weather conditions dictate my schedule. If we are in a drought I don't apply, if the lawns are saturated and they are squishy, I don't apply. The last two years some of my customers didn't get all their applications due to drought one year and a late start and early end to the season the next. If they prepaid I give them a credit for the next season. I have had one customer complain, that's it.
This. Last year was such a wild weather year that I also thought that I would not get in apps for some customers. Ended up working out, but if it didn't, I wouldn't hesitate to forward the credit to the next year or refund the app.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-01-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're a good man Mike. Other outfits just want the revenue. Especially mowing outfits that mow when it's not needed during drought conditions. We have had 4 years of unusually dry soils, and most of Iowa still is below normal regarding subsoil moisture. We're also seeing a whole lot of "winter kill" on lawns. Now a bunch of weeds have popped up in the dead spots.

One good thing is our 500 lb T3000's are light weight, so we can apply when the 1000 pounders can't.

Wishing you the best.

FdLLawnMan;5026523]Weather conditions dictate my schedule. If we are in a drought I don't apply, if the lawns are saturated and they are squishy, I don't apply. The last two years some of my customers didn't get all their applications due to drought one year and a late start and early end to the season the next. If they prepaid I give them a credit for the next season. I have had one customer complain, that's it.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-02-2014, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
They dictate mine too. I am SOL if it is windy for weeks and months on end. There is no snow or ice so the uneducated are not thinking about the wind. People pay for service at the end of the month. If I had to skip because of the weather no bill and I tell them so. Which is why I fire customers who get demanding when it is windy. I am not holding on to their money and they are not liable for the consequences of a spray drift investigation.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-02-2014, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Diseases? Youíll have nothing to worry about. Cool season grasses thrive in this weather and warm season grasses donít really have any problems in the weather youíre talking about. It will just take some more time (and some heat) to bring the warm season grasses around.

Youíre second point is interesting. Maybe this is a question for the group at large:

What is your normal treatment interval and how much are you willing to compress it to get all your rounds in? Should we even compress that interval at all?

I like hearing different answers on this question. Over the years, Iíve heard some guys say that they donít compress their intervals at all. Some say that the customer was sold on 6 week intervals and they feel the responsibility to deliver on that promise. On that same point, Iíve heard other guys say that treating more frequently isnít helping the lawn and isnít helping the environment. ďIf you wouldnít treat at 4 wks under ideal conditions, you shouldnít do it under bad conditions, eitherĒ they say. For these guys, if they lose revenue because of fewer treatments, so be it.

Then you have the other side of the coin, where guys will compress intervals. They say that the customer bought X apps and Iím going to deliver on that promise. Some make adjustments to their programs to do this (more or less fert, etc), but others donít. In their business models, getting all that projected revenue is important because it keeps the lights on and puts food on the table.

Just interested to hear the different thoughts out there.
This cool wet weather is bad on our warm season turf. I don't have a lot of fescue. Bermuda is ok but st aug and centipede are what I'm concerned about. I'm already seeing and treating disease. Hoping we get some warm dry weather fast.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2014, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't think you treated much centipedegrass -- I thought your market was mostly bermudagrass and tall fescue. But, it looks like you found some large patch activity.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2014, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm seeing the same type activity in my zoysia lawns. The disease is inactive now because it cooled some from the upper 70's and low 80's we were having for a week or 2 but it's about to hit 80 again and 87 is the forecast high for tomorrow. I'm sure the large patch will fire back up. I've been treating affected areas with Heritage G. Quick, easy, effective.