Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-03-2014, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

who is truly solo?

I often see guys saying "I'm solo but I have a guy that helps me 2 days per wk" or "I'm a solo op, but me and 2 guys did this job..." etc. So I'm wanting input from anyone that's solo as in it's JUST you every day all day.

Do you love it? Hate it? Just deal with it?

I took the leap and quit my FT job as a cop this Spring. I'm paying myself weekly what I made for weekly base pay as a cop, so basically I'm just "losing" the OT pay that I always seemed to gather plenty of.... Yes it's true, cops really do work for peanuts lol. Suffice it to say, being a cop is a drag, or was for me anyway. I did it for 10 yrs and that was about 7 yrs too long. Once the new/exciting/"coolness" wears off, it'll sure change a person for the worse IMHO.

Winter time this year will probably find me looking for some sort of a part time job just to pay the bills and stay outta my emergency funds, but we'll see. Part of my plan to do this included downsizing several aspects of my life, from vehicles/toys that I thought I needed to postponing the buying of a new house. I live in a house that I own free & clear that I inherited from my grandmother when she passed. It's smallish and in a neighborhood that's not the best in town (but not the worst either). My bills are now able to be totaled up using 3 digits instead of 4 for the first time in many many years, and let me say it feels GREAT.

Right now it's just me. I'm nowhere near a full schedule (mow Tue-Thur roughly 6 hrs/day more or less, do non-mowing jobs on Mon when I have them & keep Fri open for rain outs but hit the lake early if weather allows it) but I'm already thinking it'd be nice to run another ad blitz and try to pump up things enough to justify having a helper.

So what are the arguments for/against staying truly solo?
Old 05-03-2014, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Half the time it is me now my 70yr old father still cuts a lot now keeps him going not sure how much longer he will be doing it but I will be solo when he decides to stop.

Definitely not easy but better money for sure just depends on how dedicated you are or if you cannot complete all the work in 5-6 days time
Old 05-03-2014, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm solo but I work 44 hours a week at my day job for the school district. I still do 15 weekly accounts as of right now and I love it. I don't really have any free time but the money's good
Old 05-03-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Been mowing solo for the last 25 years. That's year round, weekly Apr - Oct and bi-weekly Nov-March. I do landscaping and mulch work on Saturdays and will usually get a helper for that kind of work though.
http://www.klawns.com
Old 05-03-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm solo, but if it's a big job or I'm busy, I have a few reliable people I can call on to come help me out. They aren't the best workers but they will come help me if I give them a day's notice. I work with other contractors sometimes too. Of course, I have professional services people too, like accountant, lawyer, insurance agent, designer so on and so forth that I use very occasionally. It's a difficult balancing act, I want to be out in the field more and less in the office, if I can stay busy in the field I will get someone to do the tedious office work and errands for me.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Solo here, but only mowing Mon-Wed at the moment. I am digging it. I love being outside and just go about doing my thing.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive been off and on solo for 10 years. The longest stretch without a part time employee was 2 years. I find the hardest part about being solo for me is staying motivated. Getting up and moving early, pushing to work those long days can really become a chore. When theres no one with me day in and day out I get bored as beans.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2014, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm truly solo, and I like it. It would be nice to have a guy to help with clean ups so I could take more on and to handle the work load.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2014, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im Solo and going on 7 years, and still loving it.

Wish I could get my personal expenses down to 3 digits, but I don't see that happening.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Solo and loving it. Would never even consider doing it any different.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds