Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-04-2014, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

california trimmer missing bed knife?

Hi all, new member to the forum. I recently purchased a home owner california trimmer used off of craigslist. I know very little about these mowers but became interested since acquiring a house with bent grass and previous owner used a caltrimmer to mow. The trimmer I bought does not appear to have a bed knife installed but does cut the grass granted does not seem to cut real even following first mow. From picture attached can anyone confirm this is missing a bed knife and if so a rough estimate to purchase and have installed. Is this a DIY project? Thanks and I apologize in advance I know very little about these mowers.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2014, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Without a bed knife it won't cut at all. Mower in the picture needs a through cleaning.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would pass on that and look for something better. You can get good used reels for good prices.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

follow up

Thanks for the responses. I've attached some new pictures. I just mowed following rain and the undercarriage was pretty muddy from pics. What I understand to know about the trimmer is that it is the 5th anniv 20" homeowner model RL205H. Still, is anyone able to confirm that it is missing the bed knife? I paid $300 for it on craigslist. The guy didn't seem to know a lot about the mower either but did say that I could return it if it didn't work out. He seemed very honest and up front. Do you think I paid to much for condition it's in and should return? Thanks again for any replies.
Attached Images