Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-04-2014, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Can't wait to see that. That would be SWEET!!!
Old 05-04-2014, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah….. I feel your pain. I have the 04 F-550 dump. And i just got it out of the shop AGAIN 3 days ago. It is there all the time. 60 something thousand miles. It shreds belts every year (idler pulleys and and pump pulleys go bad, wobble, etc…)

Suspension bars replaced, I've already done one round (foolishly) of the EGR/oil cooler crapola a few years ago.

Another 1500.00 hit to the account from this total POS truck. Now recently, I am experiencing some power loss and some occasional blueish smoke out the exhaust for the first mile or so of the day. I know I am on borrowed time but we need this truck so badly!!

I cannot afford to deal with it right now, and no way I can get a new one with recent other truck investments/payments.

I will hopefully be able to bulletproof it this Fall/Winter for around 3400.00 and maybe have some piece of mind. Otherwise, I'm in trouble. Wish I was aware of all this when I bought it. Big mistake on my part but I'm a landscaper, not a truck enthusiast.

NEVER again with a Ford.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 05-05-2014, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you're going with the handshaker I believe they need a couple little upgrades to make them durable - ditch the dual mass flywheel and top off gear oil if the forums are right.

Auto should be good to go - aisin trans is great

Air ride rear is an option this year I believe - would be great to drop it down when loading a body. A buddy of mine that tows is pretty excited over setting up a rollback with it.

That 550 is a pretty pricey chassis - I think $6-7000 would be a good deal for a buyer or have a used motor installed and sell the truck for $20,000
Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Idk about used but I charged 12k to install a remanufactured one. It had new injectors

Can't remember if it was ford or jasper
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2014, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There's a friend of mine from our church that knows a mechanic who works on 6.0's on the side. Used to work for Ford and knows the process very well. I think I'm going to take it to him, have him fix it right for alot less, then sell it. I keep scratching my head saying it's worth only $2300.00 with a good body on it, new tires, brakes, hoist, etc.

I love how in these threads people say about Fords, "well you can't let them idle long, or they need to be babied like this, or you need to do that in order to get them to run right, etc." Look, if I drop $40k, $50k, or $60k on a truck, it better run like a truck no matter how long I let it idle, when I do this or that. You don't buy a truck with a list to stips 100 deep, you buy it to work. I had 150k on my 2006 GMC before I got rid of it and it ran like a top with that Duramax/Allison in it with nothing more than oil changes and tires.

The search continues for the new truck....it just may take longer than I want.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 05-05-2014, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
I had 150k on my 2006 GMC before I got rid of it and it ran like a top with that Duramax/Allison in it with nothing more than oil changes and tires.
When did you get rid of your Duramax? I thought you still had it.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 05-05-2014, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad wanted it to pull his camper so I sold it to my parents. It stayed in the family. I just replaced it with another Duramax
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 05-05-2014, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
My dad wanted it to pull his camper so I sold it to my parents. It stayed in the family. I just replaced it with another Duramax
2014 or 2015?

I hope it's not a 2015 or you and tthomass are going to make me have to trade my '14 in.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 05-05-2014, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't keep up with Todd. No its not a 2014 or 2015. 2012, it does go though, just not as fast as Todd.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Here sits our 2003 Ford F-550 with a 6.0 Diesel on its death bed. It will end up in the scrap yard. Ford's epic fail. They haven't had their act together on their diesel line since the 7.3 liter.

Advice for landscapers: Do NOT buy any 6.0, 6.4, or pretty much any Ford Diesel. It has been a train wreck.

To the scrap yard it goes and the search is on for its replacement. This will be the last Ford I ever own.
With the right modifications it is a very strong engine. I rebuilt mine in a single car garage with the cab on for less than 1500.

Last edited by 04fivefour; 05-05-2014 at 04:23 PM.