Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-04-2014, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

So far, so good. I really don't know what to expect. Here's what I've done:
  1. Put down lime in early April after the last snow
  2. 2 weeks later I aerated the turf
  3. A few days later I put down pre-emergent right before a moderate rainfall
  4. 2 weeks later (late April) I put down weed and feed on wet grass and it didn't rain for nearly 4-5 days after.
Some observations / questions to date
  1. The pre-emergent worked well. However, now there are bare patches where the crab grass once was. Should I seed these areas now or wait until the fall?
  2. The dandelions, clover, and moss appear to have withstood the weed/feed I put down almost 2 weeks ago. Maybe I should wait longer?
  3. I mowed my lawn later than everyone else in the neighborhood. This was for two reasons: (1) to let my lawn thicken and (2) because my lawn wasn't growing as fast as theirs (they have professional companies treat their turf).

I have about 15,000 sqft of turf so I'm in the hole around $300. Keep in mind I also had to buy a spreader. Still not sure if doing this myself was the right idea, but willing to see how things look come the end of the summer.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Bump - anyone?
Old 05-11-2014, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I plan on putting topsoil mixed with grass seed and a bit of mulch on the dead spots beginning this month. Think I'll use your outline but I have to add ortho chickweed spray in there somewhere before seeding later on...
Old 05-11-2014, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I am not 100% sure on this since I am just a homeowner myself but I thought that weed and feed worked better once the weeds are there. Then you apply it when the yard is moist from either dew, rain or watering it so that the application sticks to the weeds and they absorb it. This is just what I believe I have read and understand how it works.

My yard is a dandelion patch right now and I plan on getting the weed and feed down this week since its about 6.5 weeks since I put down the pre-emergent with fertilizer down in March.

Also I believe you will have trouble getting grass to start unless you put soil down since the pre emergent doesn't allow anything to germinate.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

chickweed clover frontyard dandelions clover backyard

Sprayed today with Ortho chickweed entire yard just before these pictures were taken of the front and back. I have my doubts that this one application will work, as it was only $1.00 worth of the weed killer by percentage of the $8 bottle of 16oz.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

/Users/jrobertgardella/Desktop/20140511_132129.jpg

Last edited by blue toro; 05-11-2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: thought I was uploading a pic but it didn't