Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2014, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lazer Z hydro problems

Mower is a 99/00 Lazer Z 52" with only 749 hours. Mower was fine on Tuesday, got rained out Wednesday, Thursday I mowed half the day then the left stick started to stiffen up. By the end of the day the mower wouldn't even move and made a bad grinding noise. Dragged it on the trailer and got it home to find the hydro tank full of large shavings. Think the whole system is done for? And how hard is it to replace the system? Im somewhat mechanically inclined but am uncomfortable with hydraulics seeing as they are pretty sensitive. Thanks guys

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 05-04-2014, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just got in from a further inspections. Jacked up the rear end and you cant stop the wheels from spinning. Dropped the filter and its full of shaving. Seems like wheel motors may be okay but hydros is shot? Im really clueless here, anyone care to chime in?

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 05-05-2014, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If there were no leaks and all the shavings present sounds like it will have to be replaced vs fixed. Although I'm not a expert and am more familiar with the Eaton 7 on Walkers. I know many of those are replaced when in fact a service and input seal may have fixed the problem.

I do know that people who experience hydro failure and simply service the unit tend to have a short term fix if at all as the damage as been done.

Bump for someone with more experience on the Exmark hydros?

They can be strange some go when yours did some literally last for ever even with multiple users.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There were 0 leaks, fluid looks good, was changed last year, I called exmark and there only advice was t take the pumps apart and check them for damage. It seems easy enough to do as I already have the wheel motors ready to come off. A linkage and some hoses and they should be out either today or tomorrow. Mentioned something about a clutch plate shredding the metal fingers(like a pressure plate I assume) so I will have to see. Also said they are separated by filter so hopefully it caught the shavings and they didn't make it to the other pump. So I may only have to do 1 side, which should save me $900 right there
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a similar problem with my left hydro. Tried to repair it, wasn't worth the trouble. Opened up the motor as a precaution, but it was clean. Motors rarely get contaminated. Filter keeps problem isolated. Best option is: get a new pump. Clean out tank with magnetic stick and all lines with water and compressed air. Dry thoroughly. Install new pump. Get a good quality 5 micron filter.
You should be good.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

In my experience most of the time the thrust bearing, which sits against the swash plate, fragments and in turn causes the pistons in the cylinder block to lock up = catastrophic pump failure.

Since you mentioned large flakes of metal that may be from a wheel motor. This manual should help you out, the pumps are fairly easy to take apart.

Make sure you mark the charge pumps position on the hydro pump, it will be important during reassembly if you get that far. The charge pump is directional and if mounted incorrectly the hydro pump wont work....

http://www.hydro-gear.com/Main/docs/...uals/pumps.pdf
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2014, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Also if you find pump failure and the wheel motor is in good shape it is wise to flush the motor with regular 15w40 oil (mobil 1 gets pricy). Flush one quart in each direction as well as all the lines as someone else stated above
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2014, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Make sure you fill the new pump (prime) with oil 15w-50 before you start it. Walmart carries 5 qt cans for $25. DONT START IT DRY. RAISE THE REAR WHEELS (no load) before first running hydros.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Will do guys! Thanks for all the tips. I have both pumps apart and the thrust bearing on the left one blew apart and left the balls loose in the housing. Called exmark and they are sending me out a new pump today. Right was clean other than a few sparkles of metal and one small flake. Everything is intact otherwise. Should I nuts put the right one back together? Or get a new one. Hoping my wheel motors are okay, exmark guy said they should be
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2014, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

If you reassemble the right pump, make sure you get new seals. Don't reuse the old seals. I didnt have good luck with reassmbly - decided to get new pumps. You might have better luck. Don't forget to fill the pumps with oil before firing them up. And, loosen the bypass valves and move the stick controls back/forth with wheels up and engine on idle to prime the pump. Once you have the proper motion in the wheels, re-tighten the bypass valves and lower the wheels. you should be good to go.