Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-28-2014, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

no problem with a leave behind. Soliciting means to ask for something. Leaving an informational piece is not really asking for anything.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneslandlandscaping View Post
no problem with a leave behind. Soliciting means to ask for something. Leaving an informational piece is not really asking for anything.
Wrong.

Leaving a door hanger on the door, or a flyer on the property is soliciting. According to the LAW, period. Doesn't matter if you knock, talk to someone, etc.

We just went over this with a local lawn company who thought the same way. They were fined for solicitation without a permit even though they did not knock on the doors. The LCO took it to court and LOST. The law is the law, and the law states that if you leave ANY marketing material on someone's property, that is an act of solicitation.

Some people just need to learn this the hard way
Old 04-28-2014, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

dumb me thought no meant no.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

You are undoubtedly correct about where you live but solicitation laws are typically established at the city, township or county level. For example, here in King County Washington the applicable law reads as follows:

12.66.010 Solicitation prohibited if sign posted. If a person has not been requested or invited by the occupant, the person shall not enter or remain upon any private premises for the purpose of contacting the occupant to solicit the immediate or future purchase or sale of goods, services or any other thing of value if a sign stating "No Solicitation" or "No Trespassing" is posted at or near the entrance to the premises. (Ord. 17204 § 2, 2011).

12.66.020 Exemptions. The following are exempted from the prohibitions in K.C.C. 12.66.010:
A. The leaving at private premises printed materials advertising products or services;
B. Solicitations by organizations that are charitable, nonprofit, religious or political in nature, or by government agencies; and
C. Solicitations by farmers exempted under chapter 36.71.090 RCW. (Ord. 17204 § 3, 2011).

As you can see the leaving behind of printed materials is not considered unlawful.

I stand corrected on my blanket statement. Each individual should check local regulations, first.

KN
www.kenneslandlandscaping.com
kenneslandlandscaping@ieola.com
Old 04-28-2014, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No don't do it. Those people will probably get pissed and call the police.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-28-2014, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneslandlandscaping View Post
You are undoubtedly correct about where you live but solicitation laws are typically established at the city, township or county level. For example, here in King County Washington the applicable law reads as follows:

12.66.010 Solicitation prohibited if sign posted. If a person has not been requested or invited by the occupant, the person shall not enter or remain upon any private premises for the purpose of contacting the occupant to solicit the immediate or future purchase or sale of goods, services or any other thing of value if a sign stating "No Solicitation" or "No Trespassing" is posted at or near the entrance to the premises. (Ord. 17204 § 2, 2011).

12.66.020 Exemptions. The following are exempted from the prohibitions in K.C.C. 12.66.010:
A. The leaving at private premises printed materials advertising products or services;
B. Solicitations by organizations that are charitable, nonprofit, religious or political in nature, or by government agencies; and
C. Solicitations by farmers exempted under chapter 36.71.090 RCW. (Ord. 17204 § 3, 2011).

As you can see the leaving behind of printed materials is not considered unlawful.

I stand corrected on my blanket statement. Each individual should check local regulations, first.

KN
www.kenneslandlandscaping.com
kenneslandlandscaping@ieola.com
This I agree with!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always skip the ones with the no soliciting signs just in case. Not worth it IMO. By the way, I saw the weirdest sign the other day while slinging a couple flyers in a new account neighborhood......"Do Not Videotape my children or my grandchildren"!!! We were like WTF, that's doesn't even make sense!!??
Old 05-04-2014, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
This is true!

Just heard on the news a landscaper in our area was just fined $500 for leaving door hangers on homes. They fined him for soliciting without a permit. He fought back saying he was not soliciting - because he didn't knock on the doors - he was found guilty.

IT IS considered soliciting if you leave a flyer / door hanger - period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
This is honestly one of those questions that could go either way {["yes" or "no"] that is.} As you have to delve into the legal zoning definition of "soliciting". IMHO that act of soliciting is a person attempting to initiate face-to-face contact by the act of knocking on the door, or ringing the doorbell. So if there is a NO SOLICITING sign, you are within your boundaries to simply leave a flyer/door-hanger. However, if there is a sign that says "No Handbills or flyers" then obviously don't. Also be sure to check your local municipalities for ordnances that regulate or prohibit distribution of advertising materials.
To this end, it is my understanding that courts have ruled that religious and political persons are exempt from NO SOLICITATION regs because it is protected speech. As they are not actually attempting to sell a product or service.

On a somewhat related note, the City of Troy, Mich. has started a "Do Not Knock" Registry because of all the problems with door-to-door solicitors.

The full story is here...
http://www.wxyz.com/news/do-not-knoc...olicitors-away
Old 05-04-2014, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

From a moral standpoint, I won't bother people with a no soliciting sign.

Proud To Be American Owned and Operated
Old 06-02-2014, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

You most definitely can still have success selling someone even though they have a no soliciting sign. I know a guy who actually a landed a job with the company I was currently working for because of his sales ability or wittiness whatever you'd like to call it. He came into the building, gave his pitch and was scolded by the lady working there and she reiterated that there was a no soliciting sign out front. He rebuddled saying "I did see the sign and I do understand what it means, but I tend to look at it as more of a yield sign." The sales manager overheard his comeback and nearly offered him a job on the spot. Worse comes to worst I've had the cops called on me for soliciting and all they do is shew you out of the neighborhood because they know you mean no harm. That is if your dressed professionally that is.