Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2014, 03:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

True, SEO is just a joke... I mean, compare how one site shows up on google, (top portion of attached image for this post) vs what the TOP THREE search results show up as (bottom portion of the same image). I gave up after looking through 5 pages of search results trying to find a result for the site in the top... wasn't even there...

Well, I'll be back later, I'm going to go clean up after my pets myself; I mean there is no reason to pay someone else to do it since I can do it myself right?

Ok, there was a bit of sarcasm there, but it was just as crazy extreme as the reply not to pay anyone. It depends on a balance of:
  • What do you have time for: Do you have enough free time that it is worth learning to do it yourself vs spending that same time as billable hours to clients and using part of that money to pay a pro*?
  • The level of work you want. Yes doing it yourself, if you dedicate to learning to do it right, you can come up with good results, but most people wanting a DIY site will never get the quality of hiring a pro*
  • How soon do you want results... DIY will usually take longer, and then there is the possibility of even doing something wrong that could lead Google to decide to "ding you". (Sadly, there are tons of outdated tutorials on how to build up SEO yourself, and some from even two years ago if you follow them will get google to knock you off the results.)

It isn't easy to quickly decide especially when you factor in how to find someone to do it for you. I put an * by the word pro up above. The reason is, in my 15 years of working professionally with website development, I have seen people who are "web developers" that knock it out of the park every time, and then I've seen those who make me want to laugh and cry. (laugh at their work, cry for the people who choose them). Hire an electrician, well at least in most places, they had to usually pass state certification, web design, nope, anyone with time can get set up and start billing themselves as a professional. (Heck I officially set up my own business doing it for myself 3 years ago, amazing how cheap and easy!) I really feel for those who have to try to weed out those who are not fit for it, it can be tough to know.

The OP did a good start, asking here for personal recommendations (and yes, I do accept a recommendation to DIY, but the way it was suggested by they one person, just made me laugh) Something I always tell people ask when checking for referrals, find out how long they have been an ACTIVE CLIENT. There are thousands of websites out there that I could go redo in a day, that those people would rave all over about how awesome I am. How will they feel in a year... are they getting the results they had hoped for? Was it a pain in the ass for support?

Also one has to take into consideration the "knowledge" of the person giving the referral. A lot of times clients don't know how to properly compare the quality other than "it looks good to me", especially those who are going to be hiring a developer who really isn't worth the money. Not knocking the people, but hey, I can hire someone to come build me a retaining wall for the hill in my backyard and it looks great when done, but would I know what the proper foundation, drainage, ways to tie it in so it wont wall apart are? Barely a clue over what I've seen on shows like This Old House and HomeTime. So if I see a picture of, or drive by the property when they just finished another similar wall, I'm not going to be able to tell they did it right Ok, i'm geek enough, I'd be learning on what to look for, but I think you get my [longwinded, right Tony? LOL] point.

Whatever route you decide to go OP, there are people on here who would be glad to help you by reviewing a potential company you are looking to use if you PM them the URL. I know I would (Disclaimer, yes I'm a web developer, but no, not trying to drum up business off of here, to busy already with what time I have to work).

Good luck on your search.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2014, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMonkey View Post
I build my own by simply buying a domain for $10. Installing free Wordpress software, use a premium SEO paid theme (Genesis) then tweak the theme to fit my niche.

It's not hard if you know what you're doing. I do it for a living, so I can get one up in running in about 3 days (including the time for nameservers to fully propagate).
3 days?

More like 15 minutes installed wordpress CMS and running live, DNS usually take around 30 minutes unless there is a bad hangup or the DNS provider is extremely slow I have experienced that with hostgator. I have a server in Dallas with them all my domains are through dreamhost though.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Member

did my own ... not the prettiest but ive heard no complaints... ipage
Old 05-04-2014, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&M Lawncare View Post
3 days?

More like 15 minutes installed wordpress CMS and running live, DNS usually take around 30 minutes unless there is a bad hangup or the DNS provider is extremely slow I have experienced that with hostgator. I have a server in Dallas with them all my domains are through dreamhost though.
I never had a DNS fully propagate in 30 minutes and I've been doing this for 12 years.

I always tell my clients 3 days because that's about how long it takes me to fully build a website from start to finish.

That's like telling a customer you can mow their entire lawn in 30 minutes and it takes 3 hours because you didn't count on weed trimming, cleanup, hedges and fertilizing. Customer wouldn't be too impressed, would they?

Yes anyone with a computer and internet can do a basic Wordpress install in 15 to 30 minutes. That's the easy part. Building and customizing to make it your own is what takes the time and effort.

But first, you have to update the DNS and wait for them to propagate before installing.

Like I said, I do this for a living. I'm not going to tell a client it takes 30 minutes, then deliver the final product 3 days later. Lol, that's insane.

Proud To Be American Owned and Operated
Old 05-04-2014, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do to and you are way off most DNS propagate in under 30 minutes however the universal wait time DNS providers have to set in T.O.C. is 48hour wait for any slow propagation meaning visible to the whole entire WORLD.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 05-04-2014, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&M Lawncare View Post
I do to and you are way off most DNS propagate in under 30 minutes however the universal wait time DNS providers have to set in T.O.C. is 48hour wait for any slow propagation meaning visible to the whole entire WORLD.
So you are saying you build fully functional and complete websites with full content, images, contact page and TOS in under 45 minutes? Are you using cookie cutter files that you upload to the FTP and database? That won't be unique to the client's website and will look generic, I would never recommend that... not if you are a legit company in it for the long haul and want to build your brand. It's a "first impression" thing, and representing your company with a generic website is a surefire way to fail.

My OP stated I build fully customized websites unique to the client's needs in 3 days (including the time for DNS to fully propagate).

Anyhow, this pissing contest is derailing the thread and provides nothing useful to the OP. So, on topic, I suggest the thread creator look at references and portfolios before shelling out any cash, and never pay up front. Put down a deposit for them to start work. Trust me, I get more clients than I can count who come to me with half built website and a light wallet because their web guy failed to deliver as promised. Give them an incentive to complete the work. And a good web guy will back up his work!

Everybody thinks they know how to build a complete and fully functional website, but not everyone can deliver quality work. Remember that.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the consult on my site SEO pros! That prob saved me $150 right there! I kid, I kid..

Anyway, to elaborate my point: Always try out the free/cheap option first, and then quickly react if you fail. Tried the free Wordpress route and your site looks terrible? Pay a pro! But only for a basic page, and for a flat fee paid on delivery.

Too many new people get taken for a ride with over-promising, under-delivering tech "experts". The more you know about your own site the better, allowing you to make simple changes whenever you want, rather than paying another $50/hr.

Again, I recommend starting with a simple Wordpress site with a blog featuring your latest projects. Write up a simple blog about the work you did and how you made the client happy. Include pictures and post on your favorite social media sites. This is the sort of relevant content that Google and real people favor.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Domestic View Post
Thanks for the consult on my site SEO pros! That prob saved me $150 right there! I kid, I kid..

Anyway, to elaborate my point: Always try out the free/cheap option first, and then quickly react if you fail. Tried the free Wordpress route and your site looks terrible? Pay a pro! But only for a basic page, and for a flat fee paid on delivery.

Too many new people get taken for a ride with over-promising, under-delivering tech "experts". The more you know about your own site the better, allowing you to make simple changes whenever you want, rather than paying another $50/hr.

Again, I recommend starting with a simple Wordpress site with a blog featuring your latest projects. Write up a simple blog about the work you did and how you made the client happy. Include pictures and post on your favorite social media sites. This is the sort of relevant content that Google and real people favor.
The "build it and they will come" mentality is destined for immediate failure. SEO is critical for any successful business to survive in today's world.

Wouldn't it be nice to be in Google Local Search listings? That just doesn't happen on accident. You have to do real SEO work to get it there.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Domestic View Post

Is there any concrete proof social media posts affects you're ranking?

Outside of google+
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Entrepreneurs are pros at just about everything. Why can't you build your own site? Build a patio. Why not a couple clicks and build a site too.
Posted via Mobile Device