Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 7,956
How would you figure the 260 (which I just bought) would have a 'rougher' ride than a homeowner grade Ferris?
Head scratcher....
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Zerotermoil Zerotermoil is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mansfield, Ohio
Posts: 4
I didn't figure it, I demoed it on my property. I demoed a Gravely Pro-Turn 260, Pro-Turn 460 with air ride, Kubota Z725, and a Ferris is2100Z. The Ferris was WAY better than the 260, and was slightly better than the 460 with air ride seat. We put a suspension seat plate on the is2100, and it is so much better than any thing else I tested, it wasn't even close. If you don't believe, me go demo one, you'll be an instant believer. I wanted the is 3100 with big block Vanguard, but just couldn't justify $12K. Got the is2100 for $8299. Can't beat it for the money.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-28-2014, 10:05 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 7,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerotermoil View Post
I didn't figure it, I demoed it on my property. I demoed a Gravely Pro-Turn 260, Pro-Turn 460 with air ride, Kubota Z725, and a Ferris is2100Z. The Ferris was WAY better than the 260, and was slightly better than the 460 with air ride seat. We put a suspension seat plate on the is2100, and it is so much better than any thing else I tested, it wasn't even close. If you don't believe, me go demo one, you'll be an instant believer. I wanted the is 3100 with big block Vanguard, but just couldn't justify $12K. Got the is2100 for $8299. Can't beat it for the money.
I would but Ferris does not exist around here. Maybe some day.....
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-29-2014, 10:59 AM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerotermoil View Post
I didn't figure it, I demoed it on my property. I demoed a Gravely Pro-Turn 260, Pro-Turn 460 with air ride, Kubota Z725, and a Ferris is2100Z. The Ferris was WAY better than the 260, and was slightly better than the 460 with air ride seat. We put a suspension seat plate on the is2100, and it is so much better than any thing else I tested, it wasn't even close. If you don't believe, me go demo one, you'll be an instant believer. I wanted the is 3100 with big block Vanguard, but just couldn't justify $12K. Got the is2100 for $8299. Can't beat it for the money.
Four wheel independent suspension should from a common sense standpoint ride better than non-independent suspension. I've operated the lower end Ferris mowers and you can believe me when I say the 3100 is far advanced in ride, and I honestly believe this is due to the size and weight making the suspension work even better than on the lighter models.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:50 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Four wheel independent suspension should from a common sense standpoint ride better than non-independent suspension. I've operated the lower end Ferris mowers and you can believe me when I say the 3100 is far advanced in ride, and I honestly believe this is due to the size and weight making the suspension work even better than on the lighter models.
Yes the difference between the 2100 and 3100 is night and day. As you know Puppy the 3100 changed my mind about the ride quality of Ferris. The 3100 is more plush than my 452 no question. But the combination of handling characteristics and ride IMO go to the 400 series. I still need to get a Super Z to demo to feel how the longer wheel base feels at high speed!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-29-2014, 09:15 PM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Yes the difference between the 2100 and 3100 is night and day. As you know Puppy the 3100 changed my mind about the ride quality of Ferris. The 3100 is more plush than my 452 no question. But the combination of handling characteristics and ride IMO go to the 400 series. I still need to get a Super Z to demo to feel how the longer wheel base feels at high speed!!
Posted via Mobile Device
I talked a friend into buying a new 472 yesterday, and they are delivering it tomorrow. Read the post, I am trying to sell the new mulching kit already installed on the mower. He got a very good deal, with the mower came the new mulching kit, and a set of new bar tires.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-29-2014, 11:28 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 7,956
I would guess that the Gravely deck blows away the Ferris though. That is really what counts.
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-29-2014, 11:30 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I would guess that the Gravely deck blows away the Ferris though. That is really what counts.
Honestly the Ferris ICD deck is damn good too. I still would give the edge to the XF2 though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Zerotermoil Zerotermoil is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mansfield, Ohio
Posts: 4
Well, I pulled the trigger on the Ferris is2100s. After demoing it against the Gravely 260, 460, and Kubota 725, I just couldn't see a significant difference in the quality of cut, but there was a HUGE difference in the quality of the ride. I also had the dealer add a suspension seat. I cannot tell you how awesome the ride is on this mower. An my property is rough. It took a few laps to get the suspension seat adjusted to the right firmness for my weight, but one we did, it's just AWESOME!!! The ICD deck cuts great, leaves yard looking beautiful. Loved the Gravely too, but all things considered, the Ferris just can't be beat.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-04-2014, 08:13 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Congrats. The ICD is a great deck. Enjoy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.07654 seconds with 9 queries