Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I realized today that the new blades that I bought were thicker than what the manufacture recommends. Thicker means heavier, and I'm sure that was affecting my blade speed. New blades have been ordered, maybe this will remedy the problem.

herler, what do mean did I take the deck out of transport position?

As far as deck design, I have kept an eye on the underside of the deck. It cleans itself very nicely, so I now build up blocking is not an issue.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If your mower is getting up to RPMS going to a lighter thinner blade is not going to change a thing. Move the blades closer to the ground by installing the shims on top of the blades.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
If your mower is getting up to RPMS going to a lighter thinner blade is not going to change a thing. Move the blades closer to the ground by installing the shims on top of the blades.
But a heavier blade will take more power to get through heavier grass (power I don't have with a 19hp kawi). Is my logic flawed?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminz View Post
But a heavier blade will take more power to get through heavier grass (power I don't have with a 19hp kawi). Is my logic flawed?
Posted via Mobile Device
How often do you change your blades/sharpen them ? After 6 to 8 hours of use, time to sharpen them, or every day. There is only one reason that I find for heaver/thicker blades, that is if you are hitting stuff and bending the lighter/thinner blades.

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 05-04-2014, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I tried a set of blades last year that were to thick. The results were horrible . They only lasted a day and I took them off. I agree it slows something down or affects cut somehow. Sharp, properly pitched blades and a dek pitched almost 1/2 in forward solved my problem almost entirely. Oh and my rpms need to be adjusted periodically.

Z
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 48 bobcat also and I know if I don't use offset blades I get the same results. Since Bunton and Bobcat are practically the same you may want to try offset blades. This will also get the blades closer to the ground increasing vacuum.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyjoe View Post
I have a 48 bobcat also and I know if I don't use offset blades I get the same results. Since Bunton and Bobcat are practically the same you may want to try offset blades. This will also get the blades closer to the ground increasing vacuum.
This might be it. After you saying that i realized the blades I bought were not offset. In addition to being too thick.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck, I think you found your problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminz View Post
This might be it. After you saying that i realized the blades I bought were not offset. In addition to being too thick.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd bet money on it. You wil lbe amazed at the difference the offset blades will make. I know i was.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

My issues have been resolved for the most part. Between the fresh bobcat highlift blades and a thorough deck cleaning (it was really plastered and built up under the deck) it's cutting better. Still leaves the tall stringy grass to be double cut but does nicely on thicker blades of grass.
Posted via Mobile Device