Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Front bed....rock, mulch ?

I've spend the better part of a week now re-grading the front beds on a house we moved to last Spring. Lots of accumulated/partly decomposed mulch, etc., since the house was built in the 06/07. I've removed all of it, roto-tilled it, re-graded it, and had a rock border (CO river rock) placed (pic) [the rock was done by a local landscaping company]. The rock border (fabric underneath) separates the bed from a walkway that runs across the front of the house (on the other side of the walkway is the majority of the lawn). I was going to mulch the rest of the bed in the pic but, to keep a reasonable grade, there is some foundation showing (3-4", sometimes a bit more) and, in order to keep it as such, seems to me I'm going to have to scrape mulch every year in order to add fresh. So, I'm considering just rocking in the rest of it (there are 2 additional larger beds as the one in the pic) and be done with it.

.....but I'm considering all options (there will be minimal plantings, and some of the ones in the pic may go as well).......keep it mulched, scrape and replace yearly? continue the CO river rock and just finish it out with that (it's the 4"-6" rock).......finish it out with crushed granite and a few appropriately-sized boulders.....some other type of rock/stone? Now's the time to do it, since I have just finished the re-grading. Thanks!
Attached Images