Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Need a good temporary rotary mower until my reel gets in

So i've ordered my Reel Mower for my Zeon Zoysia, however, its on back order (good ol sears) for a few weeks. I'm in search for a good push rotary mower that I can use on Zeon Zoysia that will make it look good until then. I'm looking to spend no more than $500 and will also use it for my back yard which is just fescu. I've heard good things about Toro and Husquvarna. Any recommendations on ones that can handle Zeon Zoysia thickness?? Thanks.

Brian
Old 05-05-2014, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a Toro Recycler 22" (6.75 Gross Torque) on an 11,000 square foot zoysia property, and a couple of smaller cool-season properties... it does ok for the most part but does not bag either of the grasses very well. I think it would get you by temporarily on the zoysia and would do well on the fescue, as long as you only intend to mulch or side discharge.

I'm asking this without knowing the size of your zoysia and fescue areas, but... have you considered hiring a local professional to mow your first few cuts this season until your reel arrives, then just use the reel on the fescue as well? Depending on the size of your yard, it may save you some money and eliminate the need for a second machine to store/maintain all season.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

The lawn size is about 7k square ft. I've looked into getting it done by professionals but they all want a year contract . I can't use the reel on the fescue because its still not all finished in the back and theres a high risk of rocks and such that can cause some damage to the blades. i've found a toro super recycler for about 499 which isn't that bad, and has had outstanding reviews. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anything will work. But the rotary blade has to be razor sharp not rotary mower sharp. I remember filing, then honing the rotary blade as if it were a knife. Doing this after every mow. There are people who insist that reel mowers are high maintenance. Reel mowers do not need to have blades removed and re sharpened after every mow when used on bermuda or zoysia.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738