Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:37 PM
93Chevy's Avatar
93Chevy 93Chevy is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,805
Not really sure what stone mulch is, but that's neither here nor there.

Not to be "that guy," but we use non-woven geotex fabric. As much emphasis as possible should be placed on how little "stone mulch" we actually use...maybe a few ton a year, at best. We have lots of non-woven geotex for our jobs, so it's really a no brainer (and typically a no-cost option for us). If we allot 2-3 rolls of geotex for a project, and we have some left over, it doesn't get throw away. It's no issue for us to cut a few strips for decorative gravel, typically only over french drains for our projects.

That's about all I've got.
__________________
"Please report all incidents of vomitus and fecal contamination to management immediately"

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:48 PM
vFer vFer is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Thanks but unfortunately does not ship to Canada... I've been running into that a lot lately trying to find this fabric. The only thing I've found so far that will ship is the stuff that will cost me over $100 just in shipping.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:50 PM
vFer vFer is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
I hope this is going under stone mulch, otherwise you are wasting your time and the customer's money.

Landscape fabric and mulch is one of the biggest scams foisted upon the landscape industry and the general public.
That's what I've been hearing. It's going under river rock.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-07-2014, 12:22 AM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by vFer View Post
Thanks but unfortunately does not ship to Canada... I've been running into that a lot lately trying to find this fabric. The only thing I've found so far that will ship is the stuff that will cost me over $100 just in shipping.
Ask might be cheaper then your $100 If its free shipping in the USA you know They guy already added the shipping price is his asking price
I buy mine wholesale and that roll I buy for about $30 less
Only shipping I get charge is a delivery fee of 15 dollars so I try buy 2-3k at a time
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-07-2014, 12:40 AM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
I hope this is going under stone mulch, otherwise you are wasting your time and the customer's money.

Landscape fabric and mulch is one of the biggest scams foisted upon the landscape industry and the general public.
Tell more why you think its a scam

I tell you Mulch is the biggest scam You have replace it every year That's waste of money Put rock down

I had a Customer that I redone his beds I installed rock. He told me he paid $300 each year for 10 yrs for mulch
His Lawn was installed same time by a different company I did the lawn next door 10 yrs ago and Beds was rock and even today they still look the same as it did from day one shrubs are bigger
If you buy the best fabric and buy right size roll and install it right will last
and if owner knows not to blow grass clippings in the beds
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 AM
vFer vFer is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 10
What about Poly Pro 68 fabric? Contacting a local nursery they've told me for some reason their distributor does not carry Pro 5. Has anybody used Poly Pro 68? It's almost too late to pay over $100 in shipping to get the fabric by the time I need it (now that I think about it, I think the roll itself may have been priced at almost $200 on that one...).
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Tell more why you think its a scam

I tell you Mulch is the biggest scam You have replace it every year That's waste of money Put rock down

I had a Customer that I redone his beds I installed rock. He told me he paid $300 each year for 10 yrs for mulch
His Lawn was installed same time by a different company I did the lawn next door 10 yrs ago and Beds was rock and even today they still look the same as it did from day one shrubs are bigger
If you buy the best fabric and buy right size roll and install it right will last
and if owner knows not to blow grass clippings in the beds
Landscape fabric in conjunction with mulch does not perform as advertised.

If you don't understand why mulch--of the wood variety--is the best option in non-desert areas, you may want to do some research. There are many. And landscapers should know them.
__________________
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 PM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
I hope this is going under stone mulch, otherwise you are wasting your time and the customer's money.

Landscape fabric and mulch is one of the biggest scams foisted upon the landscape industry and the general public.
couldn't agree with this more.

That's why they started calling it "landscape fabric" …it used to be called "weed fabric" but all it does is make the weeds harder to pull.

USe snapshot or treflan in beds to prevent weeds.

Using fabric is like trying to use vinegar to kill dandelions.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-08-2014, 12:26 AM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Landscape fabric in conjunction with mulch does not perform as advertised.

If you don't understand why mulch--of the wood variety--is the best option in non-desert areas, you may want to do some research. There are many. And landscapers should know them.
You must never did and Government Installs last one I did was in there specs to lay Pro 5 under there mulch
7 years later still working very few weeds to pull I be luck fill a 5 gal bucket in years time with weeds I service it every week I run OCDC blockers
I make sure no clipping get blown in the beds we make 3 pass before we turn around
By the Government specs those beds get cleaned out every 3 years and install new mulch

Like I said before its how it treated makes the difference
I see guys all time blow crap in mulch beds and tree rings
Mulch doesn't decay very fast.
I installed trees and spec says red mulch So I did this 8 years ago
Well 8 years later I won the bid and I removed all the mulch from trees
Bottom layer was red mulch it was still there. The rest of the layers was natural oak and layer of black mulch and layer of brown
I removed it all cause the guy never did kept adding and adding and mulch was 6-8'' high on the trees and foot deep at the edge and I was thinking everybody knows you cant do that. But some guys don't care they get paid how many yards they install.
There is a point you have to remove the crap
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
You must never did and Government Installs last one I did was in there specs to lay Pro 5 under there mulch
7 years later still working very few weeds to pull I be luck fill a 5 gal bucket in years time with weeds I service it every week I run OCDC blockers
I make sure no clipping get blown in the beds we make 3 pass before we turn around
By the Government specs those beds get cleaned out every 3 years and install new mulch

Like I said before its how it treated makes the difference
I see guys all time blow crap in mulch beds and tree rings
Mulch doesn't decay very fast.
I installed trees and spec says red mulch So I did this 8 years ago
Well 8 years later I won the bid and I removed all the mulch from trees
Bottom layer was red mulch it was still there. The rest of the layers was natural oak and layer of black mulch and layer of brown
I removed it all cause the guy never did kept adding and adding and mulch was 6-8'' high on the trees and foot deep at the edge and I was thinking everybody knows you cant do that. But some guys don't care they get paid how many yards they install.
There is a point you have to remove the crap
You just made my point.
__________________
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Page generated in 0.07038 seconds with 9 queries