Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-02-2014, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Today came across a WB Sears 3.8 Edger that look like new a 400 dollar unit for 60 bucks The owner said only edge there drive and walk still has the same blade when they bought it last spring
Which model is it? If it's McLane, I have a McLane walk behind I also piked up for the same exact price, $60.00. I love that thing for cutting fresh edges. I stick edge or trim edge everything, but you know how it is when you need a walk behind! I piked up a roto tiller, not the mini tiller, but the bigger tillers just a few minutes ago in the neighborhood. Someone set it out on the curb. I'm sure it's too late to look at tonight, but I'm willing to bet it's a blown engine. If so I'm going to swap it the same way I did the reel mower with a $99.00 Harbor Freight engine.

Got that $99.00 HF Chonda in the McLane Reel today with a little bit of fabrication it bolted right up. Reel is back lapped and the bed knife is sharp as an be. It ran like a dream and cut like a dream. To tell you the truth them engines are worth every bit of $99.00. I'll see how it holds up over time, but it seems like you can't beat them for the price on just replacing fixer uper's that you pick up. Now I'm bak to the mowing schedule on the lawn one day later.

That Honda engine that was on there looked like it was manufactured in the late 80's or early 90's and it hydro locked for sure. Here's a shot with the old engine off and the new engine on. Took a bit of fab., an hour, and a six pack.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I stepped in dog poo again today.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post

Glad to hear that. Because guess what Oak Nut?

I did the same thing again too!

Matter of fact, I think there's fresh poo on one of the mower wheels.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Which model is it? If it's McLane, I have a McLane walk behind I also piked up for the same exact price, $60.00. I love that thing for cutting fresh edges. I stick edge or trim edge everything, but you know how it is when you need a walk behind! I piked up a roto tiller, not the mini tiller, but the bigger tillers just a few minutes ago in the neighborhood. Someone set it out on the curb. I'm sure it's too late to look at tonight, but I'm willing to bet it's a blown engine. If so I'm going to swap it the same way I did the reel mower with a $99.00 Harbor Freight engine.

Got that $99.00 HF Chonda in the McLane Reel today with a little bit of fabrication it bolted right up. Reel is back lapped and the bed knife is sharp as an be. It ran like a dream and cut like a dream. To tell you the truth them engines are worth every bit of $99.00. I'll see how it holds up over time, but it seems like you can't beat them for the price on just replacing fixer uper's that you pick up. Now I'm bak to the mowing schedule on the lawn one day later.

That Honda engine that was on there looked like it was manufactured in the late 80's or early 90's and it hydro locked for sure. Here's a shot with the old engine off and the new engine on. Took a bit of fab., an hour, and a six pack.

It looks like a Mclane but it has Craftsman stickers on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I didn't walk it but did hit some with mower at same time I was passing one my guys blew it all over him It Happens
Old 05-03-2014, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, I've seen the Craftsman ones also. In fact, my neighbor has one. This dog poo is non sense. Need to start charging 10% extra if there's dog poo in your lawn on mow day.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Today I'm edging a mulch bed, cut right through a wire that was like 2" deep. Then a half hour later, I step on one of those covers that people put over the basement window holes and I fell right through it.

-----------------------------------
My Equipment:
2011 F-150 Ecoboost(Work Truck)
2012 Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale(Daily Driver)
2015 Pace-American 7x16 Enclosed Trailer
2014 American Mfg 6x10 High Side Utility Trailer
Old 05-03-2014, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH1 View Post
Today I'm edging a mulch bed, cut right through a wire that was like 2" deep. Then a half hour later, I step on one of those covers that people put over the basement window holes and I fell right through it.

Don't feel bad man. I did much worse other day. Almost broke my leg in the process. I shop broom swept the last of the compost out of the bed. And was at the car was getting the residue left out. I pulled up the truck a little bit past the drain and hopped out of the bed after spraying it. When I jumped down I went straight through the drain that wasn't put on correct. Need I say I smelt like complete garbage and the water was almost waste deep. I went home with my whole jeans soaked.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Always happens that way, it could be smooth sailing for 5-6 weeks then everything decides to take a crap for a week or two.

Been there far too many times yet I always seem to find a way to keep rolling without getting too behind.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2014, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I had some luck also. Broke my new extension tow mirror while on the job. Then while trimming around a shed i heard a loud noise . I broke the back glass out of a custom van.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2014, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Anyone ever have this issue? When one thing goes wrong everything goes wrong. If you lose a customer, you lose a group of customers. If it rains, it rains long enough to rain you out. If you get behind, you don't get behind one lawn, you get behind 20 lawns. If a mower breaks, you fix it and something else breaks. It's just been one of those weeks and I'm ranting.

Truck, decides to take a crap, after part to part, it's finally fixed.

Trimmer; the favorite and go to trimmer starts acting up. Drop it off for repair while I use the backup. Pick it up, get to working, same thing happens again. This time I ditch it and buy a new one because I'm in love with this model have the "feel for the trimmer."

A day later, Toro Turfmaster breaks a pulley, jumps timing in the middle of a job. Now, the Toro Turfmaster that broke a tension pulley and jumped timing. The mower is now fixed, oil and oil filter changed, new blades, air filter changed, pulley changed, spark plug changed, ready to roll.

Now what could possibly happen?

All in the same week,

Today, get reel mower back from the golf coarse mechanic. Reel was back lapped and very sharp and nice. Leaving a sexy looking lawn. Move to the back lawn? And what happens? The freaking old reliable Honda mower decides to lock up.

Anyone have a week like this?
Welcome to my life.

You just need to add employees to the mix.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office