Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
You gotta have a good operation to make prices like that profitable. Skid loaders are a waste of time. They just need two express blowers and a slinger.

120 yards in 1 day, 3 neighboring houses. The blower trucks were gone by 2pm. Easily could have done 200 yards if needed.
120 and 900 is a big difference. Slinger trucks are hard to find in our area. We used to stage the mulch and load it with cat loader.

That's a great idea though. When I worked for a company we had a tow behind that had a chute on the front. And you would just push the mulch off the dump into the truck. Worked great

I've gotten more into material delivery my self. May look into a blower for next year I know I can keep one busy easily
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
120 and 900 is a big difference. Slinger trucks are hard to find in our area. We used to stage the mulch and load it with cat loader.

That's a great idea though. When I worked for a company we had a tow behind that had a chute on the front. And you would just push the mulch off the dump into the truck. Worked great

I've gotten more into material delivery my self. May look into a blower for next year I know I can keep one busy easily
Posted via Mobile Device
Right, 200 isn't 900. But my point was that with 2 35ish yard blower trucks, mulch moves quickly. And larger ones are available. If TruGreen, or whoever they sub it out to, is able to move a couple hundred yards a day with minimal man power , then they can turn a profit.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can do 12-15 yards an hour by myself.
With a pitchfork and a wheel barrow.
In 100 degree weather.

As for Trugreen, someone the likes of Trugreen can lose millions of dollars and it doesn't slow them down much...
These folks are bigger than Brickmann, they've been in business since like 1896 or so.
Somehow I don't see them being concerned over a few dollars per yard on a 900 yard mulch job.
They might, however, be glad they got the whole contract.

Last edited by herler; 05-08-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijustwantausername View Post
So I was talking to my mulch/pine straw supplier the other day and he was telling me how his boss' landscape company bid on a local city's landscape contract for the year, he didn't get the bid. He then went on to tell me how his relative works for the city and is in control of overseeing the bids. He said "you want to know how much Trugreen bid for 900 yards of the brown designer mulch? (which is $28/yard contractor price everywhere) I said how much? $34/yard installed.... I couldn't believe what I heard. And he looked at me and said "yeah I know" $6 profit/yard for 900 yards!!!!! How on earth do they do that?? And of course who do you see mowing the right-of-ways these days? Trugreen.

He also said Trugreen called him the other day asking about that much mulch... I've ordered as much as 30 yards at a time and even then I maybe got $20 off the entire price. Even with a bulk discount that would at best put them at $40/yard I would think? More power to em.

Not Trugreen, but I was underbid on a mulch job this year.........The client called me back to fix the mulch job...Paid my original price even though I didn't have to supply the mulch...........why? He learned my price included edging, weed control, etc........not just pooping piles of mulch around the trees with no real border between the bed and the lawn.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not even sure where to start.

If it's $28\yard cost and they are installing it for $34\yard, that is not $6\yard profit.

Second, as others have said, they aren't paying $28\yd.

Third, I'm sure whiffy is correct, they will have it blown in.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 05-09-2014, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
In 100 degree weather.

Now that's funny.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2014, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
In 100 degree weather.

As for Trugreen, someone the likes of Trugreen can lose millions of dollars and it doesn't slow them down much...
These folks are bigger than Brickmann, they've been in business since like 1896 or so.
Somehow I don't see them being concerned over a few dollars per yard on a 900 yard mulch job.
They might, however, be glad they got the whole contract.

12-15 an hour I'm sure that is misprint. It all about the whole picture not just a little mulch job all rolled into a contract they could still make good money on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You guys sure have cheap mulch. Here its 35-40 for dark brown, red, orange and natural looking stuff. Saw some at 65 yard. Its fancy though. There are guys getting 55 yard with a blower. I get at least 10 more a yard to do it by hand
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
You guys sure have cheap mulch. Here its 35-40 for dark brown, red, orange and natural looking stuff. Saw some at 65 yard. Its fancy though. There are guys getting 55 yard with a blower. I get at least 10 more a yard to do it by hand
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you buying it from a supplier or a manufacture. We buy from manufacturer by semi load
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Are you buying it from a supplier or a manufacture. We buy from manufacturer by semi load
Posted via Mobile Device
Supplier. I don't do enough to justify buying from a manufacture
Posted via Mobile Device