Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2014, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Have you ever cut Bermuda or Zoysia, totally different than any of the grasses you mentioned. I am curious, if you cut crabgrass (dry or damp) of any size with your 7 Iron, are you saying there are no clippings left to be seen?

I hate bermuda and zoysia. Bermuda is a stringy ugly mess and zoysia in most cases is so freaking dense it is impossible to get any clippings to fall down into it so it all lays right on top. They are rare here but I have cut both. Actually one of my neighbors has a partially zoysia lawn. I think it is just now starting to not look so dead. Zoysia looks terrible here in the colder months. Im not sure how bermuda can even be called grass to be honest.

Is it just me or does anybody find it odd how regional mowers are? For example I have seen 1 or 2 hustlers, 1 walker, 2 JD's, zero bad boys, 1 cub tank and two Z-Two's. 85% of all mowers here are exmark and the rest are toro, scag and bobcat with a few Wright mowers. What is even funnier about that is Wright mowers are built 30 minutes from me in frederick MD.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 05-09-2014, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a back-to-back comparison of G6 (396-740) and 602771 blades, with the baffle in the same position (#2), on the same fescue (two really nice properties, so two different samples), at the same interval, with same cut height (4"). I found the Gator blades discharge the clippings, less processed, and more off the front of the deck. The Excel blades disperse more evenly out the chute, the clippings are much shorter, and the finish is better. This is counter to what everyone on LS claims. Obviously, there is something about the VX4 that requires a certain amount of airflow/lift the G6 blades don't fulfill. I wish, now, I would've taken a picture of the clippings yesterday, as I could show the dramatic difference. Maybe, I'll run back by one of the properties, today.

If you guys remember, this was what came off the G6 blades; unprocessed.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 05-09-2014, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Very interesting. Perhaps the name of the game is a different baffle position to make the G6's work as they should by creating more vacuum?

From my deck the G6's provide much shorter clippings than the factory blades, but they don't throw them as far for two reasons-

1- smaller clippings have less weight, so don't throw as far

2- the G6's do not move as much air as the OEM high lifts do.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Very interesting. Perhaps the name of the game is a different baffle position to make the G6's work as they should by creating more vacuum?

From my deck the G6's provide much shorter clippings than the factory blades, but they don't throw them as far for two reasons-

1- smaller clippings have less weight, so don't throw as far

2- the G6's do not move as much air as the OEM high lifts do.
The baffle setting changes the airflow, for sure. If I go higher, I get more volume, less vacuum, and way more blowout. If I go down to the lowest setting, I get a compromised cut, due to how far down the baffle pushes the grass before being cut. In this setting the clippings just waft out the discharge. But, I'm willing to try it, on these two yards. I think I'll have enough time to screw around with it, next week. Unfortunately, they're high-profile, so a lot people see them. I'll report back.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know that with my deck, I get a lot more blowout from the G5's at the front of the deck than I do with the OEM high lifts, so they definitely move the air differently. I didn't have that issue with my last deck which was a std deck instead of the MOD I have now. It seems that just about every little thing makes a difference when trying to dial in a cut with a new type of blade. I'm looking forwards to hear how you go. The G6's may not work with your deck so well. I know Mick says they cut the grass up smaller, but don't have the discharge he needs for the cutting he does.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I did a back-to-back comparison of G6 (396-740) and 602771 blades, with the baffle in the same position (#2), on the same fescue (two really nice properties, so two different samples), at the same interval, with same cut height (4"). I found the Gator blades discharge the clippings, less processed, and more off the front of the deck. The Excel blades disperse more evenly out the chute, the clippings are much shorter, and the finish is better. This is counter to what everyone on LS claims. Obviously, there is something about the VX4 that requires a certain amount of airflow/lift the G6 blades don't fulfill. I wish, now, I would've taken a picture of the clippings yesterday, as I could show the dramatic difference. Maybe, I'll run back by one of the properties, today.

If you guys remember, this was what came off the G6 blades; unprocessed.

I want my clippings for the type grasses and weeds I deal with to come out the discharge evenly, and across the entire width of the discharge opening. The more evenly fanned, the more evenly dispersed if you have the engine power and velocity to move the clippings out far enough.

This is the pattern coming from my 72" deck, and I could not be more pleased.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

G5s on my XR7 66" deck doesn't seem to be the answer for my northern grasses, but then again I've come to the conclusion that after 1300 hrs. the XR7 deck is the problem in my case. The super high lifts from a VX4 (IIRK thanks TLC) helps a little with pushing the clippings out further. But for the most part my clippings are always coming 90% out the first few inches at the front of the deck, regardless of blade type. As Puppy stated it's not an ideal situation when this happens. I get balling or random clumping from grass collecting in the deck somewhere then releasing in chunks. Almost like when cutting in very wet conditions. My early standard deck and the VX4 both do better with the clippings.

I have an older 36" Encore hydro walk behind with a very open deck and the G5s have been a positive for me on it. Can't say any of the Gs have done much to impress me much other than this one set.

A new VX4 is on the way to me (should have been here yesterday) and I have four sets of G6s and three different style and severity of non-excel high lift blades sitting here waiting.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
G5s on my XR7 66" deck doesn't seem to be the answer for my northern grasses, but then again I've come to the conclusion that after 1300 hrs. the XR7 deck is the problem in my case. The super high lifts from a VX4 (IIRK thanks TLC) helps a little with pushing the clippings out further. But for the most part my clippings are always coming 90% out the first few inches at the front of the deck, regardless of blade type. As Puppy stated it's not an ideal situation when this happens. I get balling or random clumping from grass collecting in the deck somewhere then releasing in chunks. Almost like when cutting in very wet conditions. My early standard deck and the VX4 both do better with the clippings.

I have an older 36" Encore hydro walk behind with a very open deck and the G5s have been a positive for me on it. Can't say any of the Gs have done much to impress me much other than this one set.

A new VX4 is on the way to me (should have been here yesterday) and I have four sets of G6s and three different style and severity of non-excel high lift blades sitting here waiting.
Which mower and engine did you purchase?
Old 05-09-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm getting a 60" SZ HD with the FX1000. I ordered a set of flex forks and striper kit again along with a light kit and mulch kit to try.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
I'm getting a 60" SZ HD with the FX1000. I ordered a set of flex forks and striper kit again along with a light kit and mulch kit to try.
My FX1000 is in my dealer's shop now waiting for a new cam kit. This engine had less than 100 hrs. when it began giving me problems about starting. The dealer picked it up and came to find out from Kawasaki there was a recall on this engine within certain serial numbers.

I would think this problem to be resolved before your engine was built, but it may not hurt to ask about the recall, and any information you can find out I would appreciate if you would let me know.