Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2014, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Ties, Ties and More Ties

Im about to do some retaining wall work for a home organization. The ditch is 300 feet long exactly and has about 2 to 3 feet high walls and 2 sides. So total wall area is 1200 sq feet give or take. What i plan to do is remove all the ties dig in a little and set a 6 inch gravel base. Ill put up the new 6x6x8 ties with deadmans and lay down fabric behind the wall with 4 in perforated pipe and fill in the back with gravel. The ditch itself need to be shaped up a bit and there is a flower bed that is collapsing in the ditch. I quote by a guy was 30000 and another was 20000. I figured my costs to be this:
200 ties: $3500
Gravel #57: A lot of yards. Need some feed back on how much.
Pipe and Fabric: $500
Labor: 100 hours?

$18000 quote

I have done ties before and they are easy to work with for me but not on this scale. I think 18000 is a solid quote i have to factor in equipment and gas but what do you think?
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2014, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're not gonna like me this week!

But, why do they need a retaining wall for a storm water swale? That's stupid. And not what the civil engineer intended when that community was planned.

No wall is needed.

Take the old wall out and dispose of the waste. Then taper the grade down so it meets flush with the rip rap. And next, import more rip rap and widen the swale by about 18" on each side.

A wall along a swale is just stupid, that is something that probably 22 years ago the 72 yr old HOA board president came up with.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

^^^^^This was exactly my first thought.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I disagree. Storm water Swales tend to always hold water no matter how they are sloped. The retaining wall separates the grass from the rocks.

Trying to maintain a swale with rap rap and no border sucks. The edges are always jagged and ugly. Swale has to be round up'd a few times a year just to make it presentable
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2014, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I disagree. Storm water Swales tend to always hold water no matter how they are sloped. The retaining wall separates the grass from the rocks.

Trying to maintain a swale with rap rap and no border sucks. The edges are always jagged and ugly. Swale has to be round up'd a few times a year just to make it presentable
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly dude. So this is nothing more than unnecessary spending of money for te sake of mowing grass.

Absurd.

We've mowed enough HOA's and condo associations. Spray a nice clean line if Round Up along the rip rap. Done.

Wood rots. $15k this year. Then wood rots, and another $22k 12 years from now. Then that wood rots, and another $32k 13 years from that. It's a never ending cycle. The wood is not needed and its not practical. And Wiffy, you're not thinking sensibly!!

Swales properly graded do not "hold water".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2014, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Round up looks like sh t

Sensibly? I'm not writing the check for it lol. I understand why they want it and I would be providing a solution.

If you're worried about costs 30 years from now .. Price a block wall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2014, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

The thing is that those ties are original from when the places were built which was in the 70's. The whole thing with blocks is the cost because it is 300 feet long with two sides its gonna cost way more than wood. In the long run a block wall would make more sense. But now its gonna be above 20000. I want to keep the wall because that's what they want, but is the drain behind it still necessary?
Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach2448 View Post
The thing is that those ties are original from when the places were built which was in the 70's. The whole thing with blocks is the cost because it is 300 feet long with two sides its gonna cost way more than wood. In the long run a block wall would make more sense. But now its gonna be above 20000. I want to keep the wall because that's what they want, but is the drain behind it still necessary?
Ok, Look, they want a wall because they are not aware that the swale will function just fine without one. The people on the HOA board know NOTHING about grading and drainage.

They wanna replace the wall. They'll get 3 estimates from $14k to $18k. Then I'll come in and I'll say "you don't need a wall, I'll remove the existing wall, let me do some grading, I'll import some more rip rap, and the cost will be $9,600.00.

Guess who's making a sale!

I'm as serious as can be.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think it looks good and goes with the property. I hate when people just dump rip rap in it looks like ****
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2014, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach2448 View Post
Im about to do some retaining wall work for a home organization. The ditch is 300 feet long exactly and has about 2 to 3 feet high walls and 2 sides. So total wall area is 1200 sq feet give or take. What i plan to do is remove all the ties dig in a little and set a 6 inch gravel base. Ill put up the new 6x6x8 ties with deadmans and lay down fabric behind the wall with 4 in perforated pipe and fill in the back with gravel. The ditch itself need to be shaped up a bit and there is a flower bed that is collapsing in the ditch. I quote by a guy was 30000 and another was 20000. I figured my costs to be this:
200 ties: $3500
Gravel #57: A lot of yards. Need some feed back on how much.
Pipe and Fabric: $500
Labor: 100 hours?

$18000 quote

I have done ties before and they are easy to work with for me but not on this scale. I think 18000 is a solid quote i have to factor in equipment and gas but what do you think?
How much you pricing per hour? Missed your gravel cost...
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Weekend cut easymoney; 05-09-2014 at 07:41 PM.