Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2014, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
I adjust the control panels as well if they are outside. Either way if I show up and the lawn is in drought stress we leave a premade notice explaining our preferred watering schedule and a hand written note explaining we did not "Mow" if it was too dry to avoid damage, a courtesy many companies do not offer or understand the importance of apparently.
The end of this week some lawns were dry...next week in the incorrect companies hands there will be tire marks up and down the lawns.
Pretty much the same way. We don't mow just to mow. We skipped 60% of our lawns 3 weeks ago. I send out emails outlining our concerns and recommended watering schedules.

I was lucky enough to catch a couple customers (ones with interior clocks) home last week and was able to turn on the systems and or adjust times as needed.

The worst are the ones that rent their second or third homes out and the tenants monkey with the clock. Had one that had new sod installed last year and was a very nice property. Home owner bought another home and rented this one out. Renters come in turn off the clock and trash the place. They ended up evicting them but the clock was inside. Property owner told me she couldn't go on the property during the eviction process. They finally got the "renters" out last month and just now got the irrigation on 2 weeks ago, lawn is slowly rebounding.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Pretty much the same way. We don't mow just to mow. We skipped 60% of our lawns 3 weeks ago. I send out emails outlining our concerns and recommended watering schedules.

I was lucky enough to catch a couple customers (ones with interior clocks) home last week and was able to turn on the systems and or adjust times as needed.

The worst are the ones that rent their second or third homes out and the tenants monkey with the clock. Had one that had new sod installed last year and was a very nice property. Home owner bought another home and rented this one out. Renters come in turn off the clock and trash the place. They ended up evicting them but the clock was inside. Property owner told me she couldn't go on the property during the eviction process. They finally got the "renters" out last month and just now got the irrigation on 2 weeks ago, lawn is slowly rebounding.
If I'm going to service the property I'll insist (in a nice way) I control the irrigation. Most if not all homeowners have not idea on proper settings. For contollers in the garage I'll offer to install a keypad at no cost giving me access to controller. The keypads are $20-$25 and take about 5 min to install..
Old 05-26-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Daily showers and even some hail now. Like the old Florida routine with afternoon showers. Makes for pretty lawns that the homeowners don't have to worry about the irrigation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2014, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look at the Bright side. At least the cattle are fat.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dry season is still here in some areas. Skipped all but 2 lawns today. Went to cut some Bahia lawns that haven't been cut in 3 wks and they are so wilted the stalks haven't even come up yet. Hand watered some wilted azaleas instead of mowing. Then again last year was dry for me in my area. I lost a foot of elevation on my lake. 5 miles away it flooded almost everyday.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yup dry here too...rained some in some areas yesterday but not everywhere. The thing helping is temps haven't been near 90...which is unusual for this time of year
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2014, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dry here is simply irrigation issues. My irrigation guy is begging me to stop calling at this point. I have a feeling in a week or two he will be begging for the business when the natural summer time rains return. It has been very spotty but the last week or so has been hot and dry as heck. Every flaw in the irrigation system has been exposed and if properly handled equaled income for all those involved. If not you missed it .

Next up.....GLS for all those that have been pounding the lawns with quick release to achieve that green up. .....it is coming...ooooh it is coming.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 05-28-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

3.25 inches here today in about 2 hours, not much movement though, not all of my customers got it.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Weird. We just had another band move through. Twice for today. Last 5 days decent rain for the whole bay area. Starts in the interior and moves west to the gulf.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2014, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

NW corner of North Port...1.5" in the last month and a half. Yard looks like a hay field. Bahia grass, so hopefully it comes back.