Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnToutdoors View Post

Were replacing the rest of the wall with block so i dont see them wanting to go with anything else.
Ok, this is where construction instinct comes into play. Never mind "what THEY want". We all "WANT" things. But we have to be realistic. And as professionals it's our job to know what the heck we're doing and make sound decisions REGARDLESS of what the customer "WANTS". And sometimes this means we risk losing the sale.

The rest of the wall is easy. So lets set that issue aside.

Its the wall by the porch that is challenging. So this wall is going to dictate everything.

#1. As I said, I would not cut this porch. We do a lot of concrete demo work on a weekly basis, you'd be amazed at how that slab is probably supported. You could be opening a can of worms. I would let someone else take the risk and screw up their porch before I take on that liability.

#2. Wood walls is not the end of the world. In this case, a wood wall is going to be far easier than block. Easier = LESS MONEY. Less money = SALE

#3. People want instant gratification. We live in a cell phone app age. The owners probably do not have any idea that something IS supporting THAT slab. They probably thing it's simply sitting on soil. Well - I'm betting there is a 4-8 inch VOID under the slab. So its your job to educate the home owner of potential complications.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
That porch is almost definitely flush behind the ties, remove the ties and leave the concrete exposed or put cultured stone on it. Butt the new block wall up to the front of thr porch.
Or since the blocks wouldnt be retaining anything you could cut them and veneer the side of the concrete wall with it.
I like that idea. I think we were over complicated this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnToutdoors View Post
So you think that there is a concrete wall behind the rail road ties?
Hard to say. We did a demo job last week were the concrete slab was supported by a block wall about 3' off the ground. I had no idea, I just though the concrete was resting on the ground.

The porch at my home is supported by a 3-sided wall. (but a few inches of wall is visible above grade)

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
Old 05-11-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Hard to say. We did a demo job last week were the concrete slab was supported by a block wall about 3' off the ground. I had no idea, I just though the concrete was resting on the ground.

The porch at my home is supported by a 3-sided wall. (but a few inches of wall is visible above grade)
Just my opinion but judging by the pictures it looks like there was a wall there. The wood wall seems to be added after the fact
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2014, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The concrete wall was poured in conjunction with the foundation walls. It's load bearing. Supporting the roof.

being the dwelling has a brick veneer, you'd think they would have veneered the porch with brick instead of installing 6x6's. brick would have been much easier.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 05-11-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Just my opinion but judging by the pictures it looks like there was a wall there. The wood wall seems to be added after the fact
Posted via Mobile Device
Obviously

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 05-11-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Jam a screw driver through a space and see if you hit concrete. It would be suspect to put a slab on "grade" thats holding columns (that look weight bearing) supported by just that rr tie wall. The slab doesnt look cracked or settled at all, indicating to me at least that it was built correctly
Old 05-23-2014, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Do some exploratory digging behind those railway ties. Find out if there's just the porch slab, or if its tied into anything else. Or if its concrete all the way down to the driveway

Or alternatively do a poured retaining wall tied into the porch with steel then clad with cultured stone?