Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2014, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Problem is, most people cannot apply less than 1 lb of N because fertilizers are normally formulated for cool season grasses. Cutting the N rate means the lawn risks looking like a green Dalmatian. I would also have a very hard time if a bureaucrat said my application of 1-2 lb 21-0-0 is out of compliance with the fertilizer law.

The older cultivars of zoysia are just ugly. Straw colored unless overfertilized and a thatch monster unless the lawn is kept very dry. In normal years, I have total control over the water from May to December. Zoysia is kept at 1" of water per week or less. If a lawn cannot be maintained on a 7 day mowing it is overstimulated. I understand in your area, it rains in the summer months. I do not have that. In Hawaii, it can rain during the short day, cool temperature months, so a lawn can be rough to keep between December and May.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-11-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wish we could get some rain during the summer. We we're praying for the rain we just got a few days ago. We went weeks without rain and temps. in the 90's. It's been so dry, I've been seeing foundations and soil starting to crack. They just put up the drought restriction signs and the news says we need 6" of rain within the next month to even have an effect on the drought, which I don't see happening. Luckily we have a 90% chance tomorrow, but it seems like every time we have a 90% chance of rain, the 10% kicks in high gear and it passes right over us. :0 I've been using that rain gauge measuring every bit we do get though!
Old 05-12-2014, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I wish we could get some rain during the summer. We we're praying for the rain we just got a few days ago. We went weeks without rain and temps. in the 90's. It's been so dry, I've been seeing foundations and soil starting to crack. They just put up the drought restriction signs and the news says we need 6" of rain within the next month to even have an effect on the drought, which I don't see happening. Luckily we have a 90% chance tomorrow, but it seems like every time we have a 90% chance of rain, the 10% kicks in high gear and it passes right over us. :0 I've been using that rain gauge measuring every bit we do get though!
I second this!! Last two years have been severe drought. We got some rain the other day and I was shocked! Hoping for more, because we need it SO bad.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac