Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2014, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

remote for start ups

I was wondering if you guys have invested in remotes for start ups and service calls and is it worth the investment?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciajj612 View Post
I was wondering if you guys have invested in remotes for start ups and service calls and is it worth the investment?
Posted via Mobile Device
Really depends on how much work you have at present and plan on having in the future. I know for my self it save a lot of time checking multiple clock condo property's.
easy-lift guy
Old 05-11-2014, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Without a doubt, remotes are worth the investment. They save a tremendous amount of time and energy. Remotes replace an employee standing at a timer just to change the zones. When working on repairs, remotes quickly allow the technician to identify problems in the field and turn off/on a zone in seconds.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I couldn't see working with out it but I've built up enough business to justify the $1200 price. There was a time I couldn't imagine spending that much on it though so I guess only you can answer if it's worth it. Do you work alone, if so I'd say yes. Not only does it save time but if you work alone it makes it possible to do things you could never do. Example: need to flush a line and then screw something on quickly, just hit the remote for a sec. One thing, if you decide to go remote don't try to save money, get the best. Read some past threads on here.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I couldn't see working with out it but I've built up enough business to justify the $1200 price. There was a time I couldn't imagine spending that much on it though so I guess only you can answer if it's worth it. Do you work alone, if so I'd say yes. Not only does it save time but if you work alone it makes it possible to do things you could never do. Example: need to flush a line and then screw something on quickly, just hit the remote for a sec. One thing, if you decide to go remote don't try to save money, get the best. Read some past threads on here.
One gets what one pays for, therefore one should buy the best one can afford. A piece of equipment that eliminates the need for an assistant will in the long run make one more productive, saving the employer/sole operator money.

I have yet to be convinced that a remote can both save the client money while making the user more money. I can see the client saving money on hourly labor savings but they still have the investment of labor and materials for remote capability.

I can also see where a remote can save an operator time onsite and labor if an assistant is required to run the controller but, if you're time onsite is reduced your billing should reflect the savings.

I agree that one should have a remote but I also think that everyone should have a multimeter, a locator, a pressure testing kit and a shop vac in the truck as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

I guess my confusion may be due to the fact that service people charge by the hour or fraction thereof.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The install cost of something like the weatherproof TRC connector is a bit of a hard sell. The Hunter SRC connector was an easy giveaway at the time of the install.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've never had a guy go with me to operate the controller. Yes I have a RM remote, but I still use it less than 20% of the time. Still somewhat stuck in old ways, and don't have the time quite often to take 15-20 minutes to install the pigtail or explain to the customer why they should be charged for it. I love it, and wish pigtails were set up on all jobs. If by myself, I either just run through a 2-3 minute test cycle for all zones checking and adjusting, go back and forth to the controller to advance zones, or turn on manually at the manifold and then just a quick check to make sure they turn on electrically.

Yes, remotes make it easier and quicker. But when pressed for time, I can't justify an extra 15-20 minutes per job installing a tail, when I have 5-10 jobs set per day. Yes it would make it easier for future service calls.

Larger jobs I try to push for the tail. 1-8 zone systems are the ones I let slide without.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
I've never had a guy go with me to operate the controller. Yes I have a RM remote, but I still use it less than 20% of the time. Still somewhat stuck in old ways, and don't have the time quite often to take 15-20 minutes to install the pigtail or explain to the customer why they should be charged for it. I love it, and wish pigtails were set up on all jobs. If by myself, I either just run through a 2-3 minute test cycle for all zones checking and adjusting, go back and forth to the controller to advance zones, or turn on manually at the manifold and then just a quick check to make sure they turn on electrically.

Yes, remotes make it easier and quicker. But when pressed for time, I can't justify an extra 15-20 minutes per job installing a tail, when I have 5-10 jobs set per day. Yes it would make it easier for future service calls.

Larger jobs I try to push for the tail. 1-8 zone systems are the ones I let slide without.
You don't have a pigtail with clips? On larger systems I install a permanent one but most smaller systems I just use the clips.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
One gets what one pays for, therefore one should buy the best one can afford. A piece of equipment that eliminates the need for an assistant will in the long run make one more productive, saving the employer/sole operator money.

I agree that one should have a remote but I also think that everyone should have a multimeter, a locator, a pressure testing kit and a shop vac in the truck as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

I guess my confusion may be due to the fact that service people charge by the hour or fraction thereof.
I carry all the above except the shop vac.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I carry all the above except the shop vac.
Shop vac good.
Posted via Mobile Device