Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2014, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
well I will clarify. 8 years on my own yard which was about half an acre and a few others and then 4 years in my business.

when I used it on my own yard I helped a friend mow his parent's business and I spent 2hrs or so trimming the ditch down by the road so it was a lot of trimming even in those years.

Honda just makes good stuff unlike my stihl br600 which the primer bulb had to be changed after only 2 years.

the Honda primer bulbs are just better. it's that simple.

I've never had to change a pull cord on any mower or trimmer or blower I've ever owned.

I do have a stihl bg75 that was my grandfather's but it still has the original pull cord on it. the primer bulb finally went out on it and the gas cap needed to be replaced. that thing is who knows how old though?

come to think of it I've never had to change a spark plug either. usually by that time the mower is ready to be thrown away anyways.

heck I drove my 88' Toyota truck for 300k miles and I only changed the plugs 1 time. they didn't really need it but I gave it a tune up just for the heck of it.

my craftsman pushmower with Honda gcv160 engine has never had any problems in 12 years either. same cord, same spark plug, no primer bulb on it though.

I dunno maybe i'm just lucky? or I just treat my equipment good? I dunno you tell me. this is my experience though. this is all I know and all I have to go by.
After reading I see how yours last 12 years You don't do much trimming Some people like myself The Hours you put on yours in 12 years is going be like the same hours I put on mine in one year
It doesn't matter what brand it is 3-4 years is the life I get from one
Now my father bought a sthil trimmer just to use on his lawn back in late 90s it was a FS76 He still running it and still looks new to trim 12 trees and around his house Ones I bought the same year are long gone
Old 05-12-2014, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watatrp View Post
You would change your mind the first time you talked to a person that had their eyeball exploded by a rock while trimming. That's why we live in America-we have a right to choose what we want to do.
I'm not that lucky.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-12-2014, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
After reading I see how yours last 12 years You don't do much trimming Some people like myself The Hours you put on yours in 12 years is going be like the same hours I put on mine in one year
It doesn't matter what brand it is 3-4 years is the life I get from one
Now my father bought a sthil trimmer just to use on his lawn back in late 90s it was a FS76 He still running it and still looks new to trim 12 trees and around his house Ones I bought the same year are long gone
yeah i'm solo so it's not gonna see as many hrs as a crew where a guy is using it for a straight 8-12hrs a day every day.

I use it about an hr or two each day at the most.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
yeah i'm solo so it's not gonna see as many hrs as a crew where a guy is using it for a straight 8-12hrs a day every day.

I use it about an hr or two each day at the most.
Yes
Like one lawn is a School 4 guys will trim 4-5 hrs each straight
We will burn about 2.5-3.5 gals of Trimmer fuel just in the trimmers not counting the blowers
Old 05-12-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't know they sold any, they are just unusable due to weight.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Husqvarna trimmers are the lightest out there at 9lbs. the 2 stroke versions. the 4 stroke Honda version is only a little heavier. 11lbs. about equal to the weight of a stihl trimmer but the husqvarnas are better balanced. at least to me they are. I've never picked up a stihl trimmer that felt "right".

I can mow all day and only use half a tank of gas in the trimmer.
that's another thing. the 4 strokes use less gas because you can trim at half throttle rather than full throttle like the 2 strokes. you also don't have to spend money on oil to mix with the fuel which saves you even more money.