Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiman View Post
I plow snow.. got make the $$$$$
We get snow like once every 2 years or so. Although we also have more mowing time. Had a lady sign up the other day who wants mowing 52 weeks a year...those customers are few and far between though.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Take a winter vacation to the tropics and generally relax.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh. I work 12hrs a day for 3/4 of the year so the 3 months off averages an 8 hr day.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

lots of snowplowing especially this past season
s175 skid loader
scag 52in tiger cub
scag 72 turf tiger
echo power equipment
Sealmaster TR-550
Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperscrow View Post
We get snow like once every 2 years or so. Although we also have more mowing time. Had a lady sign up the other day who wants mowing 52 weeks a year...those customers are few and far between though.
why don't you get your license and spray? year round work
Old 05-13-2014, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I am studying for my license now, can you give me an idea of the types of jobs/applications available, and how much money you might see for a typical application?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I got one! It's pretty good money too! Get all your credentials to become an auctioneer. If you think you can do it, I've heard it's great money.

I just started my business and was trying to think of what to do, on top of going to school, I'm aiming to get my irrigation license and herb/pest. License. I'm also going to go ahead and try to become an auctioneer because why not. I feel like it would be pretty much perfect, since auctions are typically on weekends.

Also you could fix your equipment and organize everything. Work on home projects, probably will get some people wanting some stuff done at their house. Get a job, although I wouldn't unless you absolutely needed one because for me I don't like working for next to nothing. Things to help your business like advertising, marketing, networking, etc...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
why don't you get your license and spray? year round work
Very good idea, and something I have been looking into over the past few weeks. Think I'll make that my winter homework for this year!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yclawncare View Post
Yes I am in the Sacramento valley and on a typical winter we do get a substantial amount of rain. I may take a week out of the winter to fix or tune up things. The longest part is if I need to order parts and to wait. During our storms that we do get I am usually busy with trees. Other than that I am still running my weekly rout. Some customers may go to every other week, some go to once a month. But I am still running 5-6 days a week. This year the only thing that needed fixing was the weed eater. I had replaced everything else over fall. In Florida you get beautiful weather I am sure. But how does everything work out during Hurricanes?
Not quite. We have a 6-8 month long summer depending on the year and it is hot and humid. Yes there are other parts of the country(TX,AZ) that are hotter but once fall/winter hits, its fall/winter. We typically don't get nice weather(consistently below 80's) until December and this winter was like summer almost. We get lots of rainfall from mid-May till October. People look at Florida in the winter from around the country and think we have it made(which we do in the winter), but they don't realize that our summer is about half the year.

A winter schedule for my biz is mowing EOW, cleaning up leaves, installing annuals/plants, mulch, etc. Summer time we do lots of palm trimming and tree trimming, hard cutbacks on stuff like bougie, hibiscus, smaller ornamental trees, shrubs, etc. and mowing weekly with some plant installs.

I have some very wealthy clients that on those houses you basically have to mow weekly, trim formal hedges as needed, and clean up leaves in the summer. You get to take it easier cause you do the hard cutbacks when they leave and don't have to nitpick those plants until they return for winter.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
do maintenance on equipment and enjoy the time off while you have it. winter is only 2 months where i live. it's gone before you know it and it's time to start up again.
Got that right I will hibernate a little then work on everything around the house that needs caught up I can't get to in mowing season

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
05' Gravely 148z 1700+ hours 21 hp Kawi
Echo Trimmers
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Alabama Group
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=108
John Deere Group
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=109

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)