This should end well....

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-13-2014, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

$5 cash and a waiver. Thats all you need to enter this industry....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2014, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

5 bucks? Really?

Even Duece Bigelo gets 10 dollars

GLWTS.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2014, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMonkey View Post

If your price is low enough, you'll get a lot of cash jobs. Make sure you have them sign a waiver before mowing.
When I first started doing project management I sat down with my attorney and asked about leaving myself wiggle room with waivers and contractual wording. The way he explained it to me was that you can't really have someone sign away their right to expect you to do something that's part of the job for which they hired you, and expect it to hold up in court. I'd tread carefully with that.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
When I first started doing project management I sat down with my attorney and asked about leaving myself wiggle room with waivers and contractual wording. The way he explained it to me was that you can't really have someone sign away their right to expect you to do something that's part of the job for which they hired you, and expect it to hold up in court. I'd tread carefully with that.
A large chunk of his helpful(?) posts have been deleted (sooner or later it will dawn on him. maybe.), but he previously explained to us that his girlfriend is a freshly-minted attorney and her firm is "writing him up an iron-clad waiver so he has no liability", so who are you to question him? Lump that in with not having insurance, so that he can pass the savings on to his clients (duh), and I'd say everyone's new favorite, self-proclaimed "entrepreneur" is well on his way to global lawn (and brake pad-changing) domination. Suck it, h8trz.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If he's not a troll, I don't understand why he picked $5. Even if you wanted to lowball, you'd probably have to do $20. I mowed 2 small lawns yesterday, and each one still took me an hour. I don't see how you could mow a lawn for $5 an not lose money!

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 05-14-2014, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
A large chunk of his helpful(?) posts have been deleted (sooner or later it will dawn on him. maybe.), but he previously explained to us that his girlfriend is a freshly-minted attorney and her firm is "writing him up an iron-clad waiver so he has no liability", so who are you to question him? Lump that in with not having insurance, so that he can pass the savings on to his clients (duh), and I'd say everyone's new favorite, self-proclaimed "entrepreneur" is well on his way to global lawn (and brake pad-changing) domination. Suck it, h8trz.
Love it Tony!!!

Side note, I rebranded and started $5.50 lawns. Anyone wanna become a franchisee?
Old 05-14-2014, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
If he's not a troll, I don't understand why he picked $5. Even if you wanted to lowball, you'd probably have to do $20. I mowed 2 small lawns yesterday, and each one still took me an hour. I don't see how you could mow a lawn for $5 an not lose money!
I have mowed very few yards for $5. And they are very, very small (just the front yard). I mean a 5 - 10 minute job (not including travel time). These are a good way to get the foot in the door.
  • I travel up to one mile from location. Over that distance: upcharge (usually $1 extra for every 1 mile - that is flexible).
  • Lawn size: 1,500 square feet. 12,000 square feet yard (1/4 acre) = $40
  • Weed eating = (approx) $10 extra for house and additional $10 if they have a garage.

My average sale is usually between $25 to $65. Folks call me from the $5 ad I have posted. And like I said, I have mowed a few small lawns (just their front yard) for $5. Just most people have bigger yards and are a bit further from my location. I won't turn away anyone.

I've also received a few nice tips =)

As for getting sued, anyone can sue anyone at any time for anything. It depends on the judge if they accept the waiver as evidence. I might consider getting insurance later on, but not right now.

I doubt anybody here started off with insurance when they first started mowing either. One thing that is certain, there is risk in anything you do.

Proud To Be American Owned and Operated
Old 05-14-2014, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My opinion on the location charge

OK, I can see it being used as a special, but even then I think it is too low to start. I probably wouldn't call you, if it said $5 lawn care, because I wouldn't believe it.

Let's take your example, of a tiny front lawn (and I guess you're not edging it for that price either). OK, I could probably mow it in 10 minutes, so theoretically I could make almost $25 an hour, if I had 5 of those next to each other. But the reason I have a higher minimum charge is to cover my driving time. And I don't want to tell the customer that I'm charging them more because they're too far away. Unless they live outside the city, the customer might conclude they can get a better price from somebody closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMonkey View Post
I have mowed very few yards for $5. And they are very, very small (just the front yard). I mean a 5 - 10 minute job (not including travel time). These are a good way to get the foot in the door.
  • I travel up to one mile from location. Over that distance: upcharge (usually $1 extra for every 1 mile - that is flexible).
  • Lawn size: 1,500 square feet. 12,000 square feet yard (1/4 acre) = $40
  • Weed eating = (approx) $10 extra for house and additional $10 if they have a garage.

My average sale is usually between $25 to $65. Folks call me from the $5 ad I have posted. And like I said, I have mowed a few small lawns (just their front yard) for $5. Just most people have bigger yards and are a bit further from my location. I won't turn away anyone.

I've also received a few nice tips =)

As for getting sued, anyone can sue anyone at any time for anything. It depends on the judge if they accept the waiver as evidence. I might consider getting insurance later on, but not right now.

I doubt anybody here started off with insurance when they first started mowing either. One thing that is certain, there is risk in anything you do.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
OK, I can see it being used as a special, but even then I think it is too low to start. I probably wouldn't call you, if it said $5 lawn care, because I wouldn't believe it.

Let's take your example, of a tiny front lawn (and I guess you're not edging it for that price either). OK, I could probably mow it in 10 minutes, so theoretically I could make almost $25 an hour, if I had 5 of those next to each other. But the reason I have a higher minimum charge is to cover my driving time. And I don't want to tell the customer that I'm charging them more because they're too far away. Unless they live outside the city, the customer might conclude they can get a better price from somebody closer.
That's what my girl said. She also thinks the prices are too good to be true and will only get few calls. There's a lot of people out there looking for a deal.

I actually had one person turn me away because they were 48 miles away and I told her it was $40 just to drive there. I recommended she find someone closer, but would do it if she really needed someone. I can usually get out to the house the same day or the very next day. People really like that.

There's actually a local guy offering amazing deals for $25 up to 30 mile travel. He is also giving $10 off for referrals (that actually hire him). I found him on Groupon.com, he doesn't even have a website, only a facebook page. He runs specials like giveaway mow job in exchange for reviews. He had other good promotional offers that I thought were really creative. I appreciate creative marketing!

I can show you his page if you're interested.

Proud To Be American Owned and Operated