Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-13-2014, 08:59 PM
officerturner officerturner is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Temple Tx
Posts: 71
Ahh. Yes. Our famous texas soil!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 PM
greendoctor greendoctor is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,428
I deal with something "different" but very similar in paradise.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-13-2014, 10:15 PM
grassmasterswilson grassmasterswilson is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: nc
Posts: 3,423
I'm curious if feature might be a good early season application on warm season turf. I'm a granular Fert guy but do a feet app at my rd 2.

Can you spray at low volume out of a z spray? How long does the product last?

I'm slowly trying to incorporate better products as my business grows.
__________________
GrassMasters, LLC
Wilson, NC
www.grassmasterswilson.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-13-2014, 10:26 PM
grassmasterswilson grassmasterswilson is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: nc
Posts: 3,423
I looked at ferromac which can be applied in 0.5 gallon per k. Appears based on online pricing that you could apply 6 oz per k at about the same price at granular. Although my granular would be 1 lb n on Bermuda and 0.5 lb n on centipede. Not sure what that equates to with ferromac.
__________________
GrassMasters, LLC
Wilson, NC
www.grassmasterswilson.com
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 AM
PicturePerfectLawns PicturePerfectLawns is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 1,610
When you start messing with iron around here, you're going to be VERY HAPPY with the results. Like Green Doc said, I think your on the right track with the fertilizer, I haven't tried the Citric, but I know he knows what he's talking about. As mentioned above, in the long run, you will be better addressing the long term problem of why there's a need for iron in our soils. A soil test will do you a lot of good on this lawn your dealing with. We have little iron, but I believe most of it's locked up. I used Ammonium Sulfate .65N and back door-ed with Iron and had the darkest green within miles radius within a few days. I've been experimenting with the Iron and it's greening the lawns around here in a hurry. From what I've read it's suppose to last a few weeks or months (short lived), but I'm not even getting that out of it. It greens in a hurry, (48 hours) before I've noticed color changing, but it seems like the dark green has faded within a 14-21 day period.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-14-2014, 03:47 AM
greendoctor greendoctor is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I looked at ferromac which can be applied in 0.5 gallon per k. Appears based on online pricing that you could apply 6 oz per k at about the same price at granular. Although my granular would be 1 lb n on Bermuda and 0.5 lb n on centipede. Not sure what that equates to with ferromac.
FEAture can be applied at 1/2 gallon per 1000. My only concern is leaf coverage. If I am trying to green up a lawn before an event, FEAture at 2 oz per 1000 and 4 oz Potassium Nitrate per gallon per 1000 is the mix. The tips on my boom get changed to TXVS hollow cone nozzles or XR flat fans. Spraying pressure is increased to 100 PSI. The normal tips on a Z Spray are selected to minimize drift. When applying foliar nutrients, you want leaf coverage. My question is: can the Z Spray run tips at higher pressures and volumes?

My maintenance application incorporating FEAture is applied at even more volume and with the monthly rate of fertilizer. At that time, I am counting on soil uptake. FEAture can be taken up by roots because it is a well chelated formula. As for cost, the high rate of FEATure adds $28 per acre. I shudder to think what Ironite would cost per acre. I was not paying for things 20 years ago as a spray and fertilizer tech. One of the accounts would get 10 lb of Ironite and 5 lb 21-7-14 every 3 months. An acre of bermuda in a condominium. Now, I would spray something like that monthly with a soil appropriate fertilizer including iron.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-14-2014, 03:53 AM
greendoctor greendoctor is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
When you start messing with iron around here, you're going to be VERY HAPPY with the results. Like Green Doc said, I think your on the right track with the fertilizer, I haven't tried the Citric, but I know he knows what he's talking about. As mentioned above, in the long run, you will be better addressing the long term problem of why there's a need for iron in our soils. A soil test will do you a lot of good on this lawn your dealing with. We have little iron, but I believe most of it's locked up. I used Ammonium Sulfate .65N and back door-ed with Iron and had the darkest green within miles radius within a few days. I've been experimenting with the Iron and it's greening the lawns around here in a hurry. From what I've read it's suppose to last a few weeks or months (short lived), but I'm not even getting that out of it. It greens in a hurry, (48 hours) before I've noticed color changing, but it seems like the dark green has faded within a 14-21 day period.
Supplementing micronutrients and addressing soil pH is why my lawns are not urea addicts. They do not fall down if I am a week or two late with the fertilizer. Your first applications will have that immediate but fleeting effect. Continued use of ammonium sulfate, acidifying the soil and adding iron will change things.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-15-2014, 08:15 AM
bcg bcg is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,779
So you guys continue to apply AS with FS? I've been pulling the AS out as I've added the FS because I didn't want to overdo the sulfur and I was concerned about the AS burning the lawn as the temperatures warmed. It hasn't been that way this year but normally we're in the high 80's by now.

How much AS are you applying per K? What about the FS per K? In my current round, I've been going 1/2# FS per K, My FS is 20% Fe so it's coming out to about 1.6 oz of FE per K. Would you still be putting AS down with this and if so, how much is safe in the high 80's? How much is safe in the mid - upper 90's?

I'm only putting down 3 gallons of water per K as carrier and have been keeping my N under 1/2# per K every 6 weeks. N is coming from Potassium Nitrate and UFLEXX, if I were to add AS back in to the mix then it would also be coming from that.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-15-2014, 09:50 AM
PicturePerfectLawns PicturePerfectLawns is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Supplementing micronutrients and addressing soil pH is why my lawns are not urea addicts. They do not fall down if I am a week or two late with the fertilizer. Your first applications will have that immediate but fleeting effect. Continued use of ammonium sulfate, acidifying the soil and adding iron will change things.

That's kind of what I figured. Exact reasoning I need to quit procrastinating and do another soil test. I'm sure my soils made some changes by now. Note, I've already composted it two times to. I wonder how that effected my soil and it's PH. I did some major tree trimming yesterday since I finished my route early. I can't wait to see how the Zoysia does now. It was getting partial shade in the morning. I trimmed enough up, I went out at sun-rise this am and am happy to report the Zoysia is getting 100%[SIZE="2"] morning sun!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-18-2014, 09:32 PM
Hissing Cobra Hissing Cobra is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: On a green lawn
Posts: 649
You didn't mention if you were looking for liquid or granular but here's a list of products that you can get from John Deere Landscapes (at least through my location in Massachusetts). You may have to ask your local JDL branch what they've got in stock or what they can order for you from another location.

At my branch we carry the following in liquid form.

12-0-0 Chelated Iron
12-0-0 Iron Plus

In granular form you can buy the following.

Granular Iron 20FE (20% Iron)
Ferrous Sulfate
5-10-31 Fertilizer with 10% Iron
24-5-11 Fertilizer with 5% Iron
28-0-12 Fertilizer with 3% Iron
21-0-21 Fertilizer with 2% Iron
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Page generated in 0.06900 seconds with 9 queries