Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-14-2014, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

OP, any update??????? Kinda curious to see how your doing!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
OP, any update??????? Kinda curious to see how your doing!
Well, that was his last post. He comes here for advice and never comes back. It's not like he doesn't have the time to take part in his own thread....

This is why people fail. Laziness.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 06-06-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Op are you looking for any part time work? I sent you a PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do lots of little extras for your customers free of charge, keep doing that, before you know it you'll be there.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

UPDATE

Sorry for not being around I don't go on my computer and sign in on here much, but I've been reading everything. Since then I've posted on craigslist and got a lot more bs then actual customers out of it, made the add look clean not sloppy. I also have a text add in the local newspaper which has already more than paid itself off. Most of my calls have been off the newspaper add and referrals from where I used to work. The big problem right now is most of the jobs i'm getting are odd ball jobs like hey come mow my hay field for nothing or i'm selling my house how much to mow once a month. I have picked up some quality weekly mow customers. Right now just focusing on doing quality work on the customers I have while juggling the delivery job. Trying to gain a good portfolio of pictures so I can set up a website in the near future. I've learned a lot already this year on what to do and what not to do.
Toro 22" push mower
Echo handhelds
Old 06-08-2014, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have gotten a lot of jobs through HomeAdvisor. I have had pretty good luck with the lead company but i know a lot of contractors dislike it.

"Keep it stupid simple"
Old 06-09-2014, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Honestly, I got 15 accounts off CL in 3 weeks. could have been 22 but we have been rainy and I got a lot of calls from the 3-6 miles out of my service area, so I had to decline unfortunately.

of my 15, 10 are great so far, 2 are ok, and I have had to drop 3. so 12 pretty good accounts, half of which pay cash on completion, for no cost advertising is ok.

and no, I don't lowball my prices. I am average for my immediate area

~Joe
Old 06-09-2014, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasko's Lawncare View Post
UPDATE

Sorry for not being around I don't go on my computer and sign in on here much, but I've been reading everything. Since then I've posted on craigslist and got a lot more bs then actual customers out of it, made the add look clean not sloppy. I also have a text add in the local newspaper which has already more than paid itself off. Most of my calls have been off the newspaper add and referrals from where I used to work. The big problem right now is most of the jobs i'm getting are odd ball jobs like hey come mow my hay field for nothing or i'm selling my house how much to mow once a month. I have picked up some quality weekly mow customers. Right now just focusing on doing quality work on the customers I have while juggling the delivery job. Trying to gain a good portfolio of pictures so I can set up a website in the near future. I've learned a lot already this year on what to do and what not to do.

This stuff isn't for the weak keep your head down treat each customer like their your only one do good work time will pay off if you are true to sticking with it.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 07-03-2014, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Tape a flier to each pizza box that you deliver...
Old 07-03-2014, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had some success with this before

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNTON SERVICES LLC View Post
One important thing I think that a lot of people have failed to mention is the local lawn care company's in your area , most successful company's have a very hard time finding help and actually turn away work all the time we do. This is the work you need and nothing works better to land the job than a referral , go speak to lawn care guys you see out , tell them you are new , do not be a prick and try to act like you are better than them etc give them your cards and ask them if there is work they do not want to refer you for it , even offer to subcontract mow for them so they can make some money on it as well you should be booked up by the end of summer with crap , then the trick is trading in the junk for the good stuff over time as your reputation becomes better. You need to be out there , forget all the adds and postcards etc that costs money , get a nice vinyl image on your truck , get you equip looking organized and professional , business cards and get out there people want to hire people they see out doing work , just my opinion but I see no reason why you shouldn't be extreamly busy this year start at the bottom and work your way up. Good luck.
Maybe I should be doing this now. I remember I went through the phone book one year (back when people still used them lol) and called other lawn services because we had some rain, and I figured they were busy but I didn't have enough work.

I offered to do the work and give them a percentage, so they wouldn't lose customers. One company just gave me a landscaping job. It was pretty intimidating for me (and still might be, I don't have a lot of landscaping experience) but I called some people to see if they could give me any advice and I met a guy passing out flyers that said he liked doing landscaping for fun, so I called him and he ended up helping me install some ground cover. I also found a lawn service that let me do some of his accounts for a commission.

Just be careful though; I've also met some people that will be happy to cheat you out of work or money. I told a tree service I would put "tree trimming" on my flyer if he would pay me for referrals and I found him a job in a few days. But then the customer called me and said they paid him and he hasn't finished the job. I called him and he finished the job, but he never paid me anything. He said he didn't make enough money, but that wasn't the agreement: It's not my fault if he didn't make enough money; I didn't bid the job for him. Before that he gave me a mowing job, and then instead of paying me he gave me a blower. It was probably worth what he owed me, but again, that wasn't our agreement. Then he tried to get me to do an overgrown lawn cheap and that was the last time we talked.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT

Last edited by LawnMowerMan2003; 07-03-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: clarity