Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

4 Man Crew!

Well fellas, as of Monday I be running a crew of 4 men. That's myself and 3 of my workers of course. My man goal for that is to set myself up from working in my business and to work on my business. I'll run with them for at least 3 weeks to a month. I'm going to make sure they know the route inside out, front to back and side to side.

Yes, some days I'll be back on the truck for the heaviest days and the lighter days I'll be out marketing my business. There's several places I'm focus on getting.

My question to you guys is "What's the most effective way to get in and out a yard with 4 guys. My max time should be 10 minutes depending on size of yard? Now I have 2 on trimmers/edger and I'm on the ztr.

Also, it'll allow me to back up the crew at the same time and do landscaping as well. I've been pretty busy with that and I don't see it slowing down. Things is only getting better by the day.

So guys thanks for your advise in advance!

I'm halfway at my goal for 2014 season!!!
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
7x14 OPEN TRAILER
5x10 OPEN TRAILER
36" HUSTLER ZTR
48" SCAG ZTR
61" SCAG TT ZTR
1 SRM 266T ECHO TRIMMER
1 SRM 2601 ECHO TRIMMER
1 PE 200 ECHO STICK EDGER
1 PB 770H ECHO BLOWER
1 PB 413H ECHO BLOWER
2 21" SNAPPER WALK BEHIND
1 22" TORO WALK BEHIND
1 ECHO SHC 225S HEDGE TRIMMER
1 ECHO CHAINSAW
Old 05-09-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleen Kutz View Post
Well fellas, as of Monday I be running a crew of 4 men. That's myself and 3 of my workers of course. My man goal for that is to set myself up from working in my business and to work on my business. I'll run with them for at least 3 weeks to a month. I'm going to make sure they know the route inside out, front to back and side to side.

Yes, some days I'll be back on the truck for the heaviest days and the lighter days I'll be out marketing my business. There's several places I'm focus on getting.

My question to you guys is "What's the most effective way to get in and out a yard with 4 guys. My max time should be 10 minutes depending on size of yard? Now I have 2 on trimmers/edger and I'm on the ztr.

Also, it'll allow me to back up the crew at the same time and do landscaping as well. I've been pretty busy with that and I don't see it slowing down. Things is only getting better by the day.

So guys thanks for your advise in advance!

I'm halfway at my goal for 2014 season!!!
Congrats on having a good season, I never liked having a 4 man mowing crew in 1 truck, way to much downtime especially for small yards, but like you said it's just for 3 weeks to get your guys trained. I found it good this year 2 trucks 2 guys on each truck get's alot of work done, or if you only have 1 mowing truck 3 guys max i think works best. But it depends on how big your yards are also. Good luck again sounds like your doing good!
Old 05-10-2014, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Congrats on having a good season, I never liked having a 4 man mowing crew in 1 truck, way to much downtime especially for small yards, but like you said it's just for 3 weeks to get your guys trained. I found it good this year 2 trucks 2 guys on each truck get's alot of work done, or if you only have 1 mowing truck 3 guys max i think works best. But it depends on how big your yards are also. Good luck again sounds like your doing good!
Yes 3 guys work best. But once they're trained I'm off to marketing. That's a must!!! Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Do you have a lot of lawns next door to each other? Drive time needs to be kept to a minimum when your paying 3 guys to sit in the truck.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant11 View Post
Do you have a lot of lawns next door to each other? Drive time needs to be kept to a minimum when your paying 3 guys to sit in the truck.
Yes I have several stop with 3-5 yards next door and some are a mile or 2 apart. But I'm always I a certain area of the city each day. Plus I have large commercial accounts as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2014, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run 4 guys on a crew and it's great. 2 guys cut and 2 guys trim and the 2 guys that finish first start blowing off. We are very efficient and have had no issues. My guys know that if they are waiting for the other guys to blow off they should be doing something else like refueling equipment, pulling weeds, etc.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusive View Post
I run 4 guys on a crew and it's great. 2 guys cut and 2 guys trim and the 2 guys that finish first start blowing off. We are very efficient and have had no issues. My guys know that if they are waiting for the other guys to blow off they should be doing something else like refueling equipment, pulling weeds, etc.
Yep that sounds bout right. Don't stand up with your hands in your pocket!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope you got a crew cab truck, or else that might get uncomfortable, or not... haha
Old 05-15-2014, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusive View Post
How on earth do you make money, though? Seems like 1 guy too many to me.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-15-2014, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
How on earth do you make money, though? Seems like 1 guy too many to me.
To each their own. The faster I am able to finish a house the more money I make therefore having 4 guys speeds up the process. I use to run with 3 but 4 is faster.