Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I've had a few Husky weed whackers that were junk as well. Okay when working but just randomly died on me for no good reason and still young. No mower experience but I have no desire to chance it.

FYI you can order the Toro MX's via MowersDirect.com and save the sales tax and get free shipping. Saves a few bucks or works as a good negotiating tool with your local dealer. FYI if there is a dealer you like and want to use for service be careful where/how you buy so you don't get blacklisted.

Years ago I bought a Deere and found myself hunting the low dollar. The dealer around the corner wouldn't budge on price so I bought elsewhere. Later when I needed general service parts (blades, belts, etc) they were rude as hell to me, especially the owner. I gave them the finger and an earful and drive 15 miles out of my way to support a reasonable dealer. When they went out of business I did the happy dance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeplaymaker View Post
I agree on the Quest-S after looking at it in person and driving it too. That machine is at the moment on the top of my list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
After looking at and then driving the Husqvarna I cannot agree more. It would do but non-serviceable hydros and then it is truly a gamble on the deck too. It is just a metal strap bolted on to the stamped lip. The dealer was phenomenally accommodating but after looking at the eXmark, the Husqvarna is out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I like the whole idea of serviceable hydros. The one dealer pointed out that after five-plus years, he has machines come back in sluggish and not too responsive. After fresh oil and a filter, itís like brand new again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
Absolutely zero dealer support in my area or I would, thank you for your recommendation, they seem solid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeetShooter View Post
The Husqvarna is out, I would only consider the MZ52 as that looks like a tank, but is overkill for me. Another vote for the Toro, I can see why as I really like its sister machines the eXmark Quest-S. I am going to look at the Toro on Monday, since a few of you mentioned that machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
I am going to check out the Toro on Monday, as a few of you mentioned that machine. I will get it locally from a dealer for support. I really like the eXmark Quest-S which in my mind is its sister machine. The dealer is really giving me a superb deal on it too, mainly because I bought from him before.

Thank you all for your quick and helpful replies! After looking at all the contenders but the Toro, the eXmark Quest-S looks like the winner. I did not care for the drive on the Husqvarna, nor some other lacking features compared to the other machines. I am going to check out the Toro and then decide.

Gusto
Old 05-15-2014, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

The Toro was nice, but I preferred the eXmark over it, and the Toro dealer wouldn’t budge on price either. After all the searching, test driving and negotiating I purchased a Hustler Raptor SD 48-inch mower. I was able to haggle on the price of the Raptor SD, got free G5 Gator blades, free delivery and removal of our old tractor and above all that mower will fit my property a little better as it is narrower than the eXmark and aslo allowing me to use G5 Gator blades. I had an amazing quote on the eXmark Quest-S but without being able to install Gator blades on it along with the size I passed on it (both Oregon and eXmark advised against Gator Blades via emails with their techs).

The mower is being delivered this weekend. I have the option to upgrade to the premium bolstered seat, which is found on the Hustler Raptor SD 60-inch mower if I want at a significantly reduced price. The dealer is giving me a few mows to decide if I want to upgrade or not. My back will let me know if I should do it but does anyone have any thoughts on the seat upgrade?

Gusto
Old 05-15-2014, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Congrats! I'm thinking if the seat upgrade is significant and will save the back and kidneys I would go for it.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Congrats! I'm thinking if the seat upgrade is significant and will save the back and kidneys I would go for it.
Thanks, and congratulations right back at you too, I see you are enjoying your new Toro via your pic thread. Well, I said the hell with it and called the dealer today to have him order the seat. The mower will be delivered early next week. I do not mind waiting a few extra days because with this crazy rain we just had, I cannot cut the lawn this weekend regardless.

Gusto
Old 05-17-2014, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Good deal, they are really nice mowers and what I originally was going to get. Like dcfas and I will try to soon as well you need to post up some pics then of it and the cut! I was in the same boat as you with the Hustler vs Exmark and it basically came down to dealer distance away and in the end I just really wanted the ex or wasn't going to be happy with spending so much especially since I went a model higher.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I ended up buying the regular Raptor 42" and I'm loving it. Definitely the right size for my yard (1/2 acre). My dealer gave me a free seat upgrade and hour meter. The seat I chose is a high back one from the Bad Boy mower. It doesn't have arm rests but I found it more comfortable and supporting than any of the Hustler seats. Plus the arm rests on the one Hustler seat didn't fit me right. Maybe I have a taller torso but my arms didn't comfortably rest on them like they were supposed to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2014, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Also I might recommend a mulcher kit. My Raptor devours grass and spits it like no tomorrow. The mulching kit will help keep it controlled better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2014, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

These three mowers are all excellent. Funny how we ended up with one each!

I'm still marveling at the quality of cut. Couldn't be more pleased. This mower apparently does not have a striping kit-- maybe because it stripes awesome as is.

I'm happy about the high back seat and the arm rests, too. I've found that I can rest my elbows on the armrests (which are cushioned) and hold the paddles lower if I want. To be honest they really are unnecessary, however.

I'll post more pix on the MX4260 thread. Happy mowing!
Old 05-18-2014, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravely makes Excellent homeowner models at a great price and will out last all mentioned above if you have a dealer near you they are definitely worth checking out.

The reps and customer service are the best in the business.

Gravely ZT
Price: from $2695
Decks: 34 to 50 inch
Engines: 16.5 to 25 hp

Gravely ZT XL
Price: from $4575
Decks: 42 to 54 inch
Engines: 21.5-25 HP

http://www.gravely.com/en-us/zero-turn-mowers

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 Ė 1860)