Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

horrible color, and plantings

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

On Taco-bloc's facebook.

Million dollar home.

The work looks great.

But the material color is DULL DULL DULL. Very dull. (not the contractor's fault)

Big, big, hardscape job - then look at the plantings, horrible! And they have gravel! Gravel is used for railroad beds, not for a $180k pool setting. (this is the contractor's fault)

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Its in syracuse, might as well be fargo. CAMBRIDGE FOR LIFE
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2014, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The ole "gravel will save you money angle"

I know your position on this DVS. Believe me I know....fish tank gravel etc.

BUT,

Here many designers/architects sell the low maintenance gravel beds near pool settings. Mulch in the front high impact areas of the house, and gravel in the back to save spring cleanup costs. I'm not saying it is correct.

I have to be honest here in Syracuse many people do not want to have 1000+ dollar spring cleanups that encompass huge areas of mulch bed real-estate.

I also think the people that are serviced here tend to be older. In your neck of the woods you might have young, professionals banging down serious money, but here that isn't the case. Older people have the cash and are SOLD on gravel beds as an idea that a designer has their best interest and pocket book in mind.

Foot in the door idea goes like this:

DESIGNER/Contractor: "Well Joe I am going to save you thousands by putting down gravel in the beds in the back!.

JOE: Oh wow, I am glad I picked you, you are sooooo smart!

Job sold!

-Chris
Old 05-16-2014, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
I know your position on this DVS. Believe me I know....fish tank gravel etc.

BUT,

Here many designers/architects sell the low maintenance gravel beds near pool settings. Mulch in the front high impact areas of the house, and gravel in the back to save spring cleanup costs. I'm not saying it is correct.

I have to be honest here in Syracuse many people do not want to have 1000+ dollar spring cleanups that encompass huge areas of mulch bed real-estate.

I also think the people that are serviced here tend to be older. In your neck of the woods you might have young, professionals banging down serious money, but here that isn't the case. Older people have the cash and are SOLD on gravel beds as an idea that a designer has their best interest and pocket book in mind.

Foot in the door idea goes like this:

DESIGNER/Contractor: "Well Joe I am going to save you thousands by putting down gravel in the beds in the back!.

JOE: Oh wow, I am glad I picked you, you are sooooo smart!

Job sold!

-Chris

I do not agree with you on this and I'll explain why:

1) If you saw the other pictures on FB that go with this job, then you know this is NO tract home, it's a high end estate.

2) The job looks great. Money was not spared. Infact....there is even a POOL HOUSE! So going el cheapo on the landscaping to save dollars wasn't the strategy.

3) Perennials are a good landscapers best friend. By utilizing the proper perennials and ground cover - gravel is not needed, and after a yr or two nor will mulch be needed. See, this is how you can tell a competent scaper from a poser. The posers don't know what perennials are or how to use them. I judge a contractor by their plant design capabilities. Hardscaping, that's fairly easy. But planting - that's what separates the pros from the posers.

4) In the area where I started my company and where I live - there is no money. Yes, there is a strong market. But you won't make much profit, for many reasons. So....over the last 3-4 years we have moved our work in the DC area, where there is money....12 months a year. Many of the local guys think I am no longer in business cause they never see us working in the area anymore. Most of our clients are over 50, and their employment is/was somehow affiliated with the federal gov't. Infact, from a sales stand point and a money making stand point - your best market is where the average person is 50 yrs old and over. The younger folks don't have the ca$h. If there are high end car dealerships (Jaguar, lotus, Porsche, range rover) - then it's a good market.

This is like American Idol. Where you have a good singer but they picked the wrong song. The hardscape work looks nice, contractor did a nice install job, but the color looks bad. Then we have nice hardscaping, nice pool, nice pool house, and horrible landscaping, it's like smoking a cigarette after eating a delicious slice of strawberry cheesecake.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 05-16-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Dvs. Do you have a website I can look at? I'm interested in seeing some of your work. I have seen a lot of your posts but not a single picture. I'm sure you have posted some in the past but I haven't found one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-mans Hardscapes View Post
Dvs. Do you have a website I can look at? I'm interested in seeing some of your work. I have seen a lot of your posts but not a single picture. I'm sure you have posted some in the past but I haven't found one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep, of course I do. and I have many pictures posted on this site. click on my profile and do a search on me that way, pictures are not what I'm here for, I'm here to share business knowledge, not based on theory, but based on first hand experiences

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 05-16-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't understand how you can pretend to be the smartest best hardscaper ever to live and then accept the horrible cuts and wavy lines in a lot of your pictures on your website. I know there's minor imperfections in some of my work but a lot of that cutting looks like first year experience. IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-mans Hardscapes View Post
I don't understand how you can pretend to be the smartest best hardscaper ever to live and then accept the horrible cuts and wavy lines in a lot of your pictures on your website. I know there's minor imperfections in some of my work but a lot of that cutting looks like first year experience. IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Two days of solid mitering and these look like perfect cuts to me, and no wavey lines here!

And this job isn't even at a million dollar property!

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 05-16-2014, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

shew-weee, look at all those horrible cuts! And look at how wavey the CLAY pavers are! Cause we all know how that each clay paver is identical in size to all the others

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 05-16-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

In the first picture it's obvious you use a table saw. For one with a gas saw it would have taken half a day and you would have had smoother cuts. Again, If you want to act like your the best and treat everyone else like there stupid then back it up with good quality work. Sure your base preparations might be top notch but your finishing skills need some work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread