Register free!

Old 05-16-2014, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

eliminating poison ivy in english ivy under trees

I need to get rid of Poison ivy, that is growing in English ivy located under trees and growing up some trees. Has anyone dealt with this. I have Nufarms Horsepower and 4 speed xt, that both list Poison ivy as a weed controlled, but do not list English ivy. I do not want to damage the English ivy, but I am concerned more with damaging the surrounding trees and shrubs, that have roots growing below both ivies. I plan on cutting the poison ivy at the base of the trees. If needed I could purchase something different than the two listed above.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Same problem a few years ago. Like you I cut the vines off at ground level to kill the vines on the trees.
But THEN...how do you kill the poison ivy in the English ivy?
I tried a sponge applicator after spraying the sponge with a squirt bottle or hand sprayer. I used barbeque tongs. I used rubber bands or zip ties to retain a sponge on both sides of the tongs.
Then I would grab the poison ivy stalk between the sponges, down low and pull it upwards coating the herbicide solution fully on the poison ivy. I used Lesco Eliminate almost the same as the Horsepower you used. You should probably mix it strong. Maybe a couple ounces per quart. I killed a lot of it--but--the customer did not want to continue the next month. I was charging about a dollar per minute--around 20 to 25 dollars extra at each treatment. I planned on several treatments.
Possible certain seasons of the year might be better. For instance it stuck up higher in winter and early spring so the PI was easier to find before the leaves came out.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Find a guy who is not allergic let him go at it . I have a guy that I call for just that purpose I cringe every time I see him grab ahold of that crap bare handed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2014, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take you some herbicide and put it into a 20 ounce coke bottle. About half way full. Set near tree and secure bottle. I repeat, secure bottle ( tape ,brick , cinderblock) Stick a end of the poision ivy in coke bottle. Watch it die. We do this for virgina creeper a lot of times
Old 05-17-2014, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcl4slc View Post
Take you some herbicide and put it into a 20 ounce coke bottle. About half way full. Set near tree and secure bottle. I repeat, secure bottle ( tape ,brick , cinderblock) Stick a end of the poision ivy in coke bottle. Watch it die. We do this for virgina creeper a lot of times
Are you serious? So your saying the poison ivy will suck it up like a wick? Interesting.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I also used a hand sprayer and a child size snow shovel. Put the snow shovel behind the poison ivy to protect the English ivy. Spray the poison ivy.
Perhaps you could build a rig from half plastic bottle with a three foot handle. Perhaps then you could then isolate the P ivy by itself--spray it--and then move on to the next sprout.

Explain to the customer in a definite way that some English ivy will probably be damaged.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I also used a hand sprayer and a child size snow shovel. Put the snow shovel behind the poison ivy to protect the English ivy. Spray the poison ivy.
Perhaps you could build a rig from half plastic bottle with a three foot handle. Perhaps then you could then isolate the P ivy by itself--spray it--and then move on to the next sprout.

Explain to the customer in a definite way that some English ivy will probably be damaged.
I like the shove idea.

As for any kind of cone/bottle/bell attached to your spray wand. The wide angle nozzles will cause heavy dripping. I have had success using smaller Pressure washer nozzles that come in Zero, 15, 25 40 and 60 degrees. Fact is I even use a Pressure Washer Gun with 15 degree tip for spraying Aquatic weeds from my boat. It works good the other direction from my ATV. in both case I can only get so close to the water line. The 15 degree tip at low pressure reaches out to what I can't reach without noticeable overspray. I am thing a Bell with a Zero degree tip would work for those tight areas.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.