Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2014, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Blade sharpening

Just wondering how many hours you guys go between blade change outs? I did every 10hrs last year Overkill?

Thanks
Matt
Old 05-17-2014, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

NO I change about 5 mower hrs but you can go longer depending on your grass conditions. I use to cut a bunch of heavily fertilized augustine or sandy bahia. I think 10 is pushing it IMO here at least. At 5 hrs my blades were ten times easier to sharpen than at 10 hours. A lot of our conditions is consider wet in other areas. Most of our humid lawns are semi damp until noon. I believe wet lawns dull blades as fast as sand from my experience.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do them when they need it. Sometimes in the hot summer and the deck is up and the driveways are clean I get a week. Today there is still lots of dirt and grit on the private drives and I got a day. Just depends what you put them through. And yeah I blow stuff off with the mow-mow all the time. Saves a ton of time even when it is gritty and the blades show it. Rather do 10 minutes of sharpening than 2 hours of blowing with a blower. I should have came home today and touched up at lunch but rain was coming and I had to just keep on it.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Member

how do most of you sharpen your blades? a actual blade grinder or a handheld grinder?
Old 05-17-2014, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Member

blades

we are doing every day.. we are out for 8-10 hrs, cuting approx 8 hrs.. we used fix grinder..
Old 05-17-2014, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyday I switch and clean deck really good, I rotate between 8 sets

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 05-17-2014, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Each day I can mow 10-14 hrs I use a Oregon Blade sharper some day I sharpen 3 mowers some days Ill sharpen 6 mowers only run 3 mowers and next day run the other 3 mowers
Old 05-17-2014, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Each day I can mow 10-14 hrs I use a Oregon Blade sharper some day I sharpen 3 mowers some days Ill sharpen 6 mowers only run 3 mowers and next day run the other 3 mowers
I really like that sharpener did you buy it new or used it comes at a hefty price lol, I still use a hand grinder got good at cleaning up/fixing other peoples destruction in the welding field when the company would bring in crackheads that did not know what they were doing it had to be fixed right peoples lives were at stake if not properly fixed.

Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a lot of work, but its actually faster for me to use a bench grinder to square the cutting edge to take out big knicks, a side grinder to get the rough cutting edge and angle back, then use a Magna Matic sharpener to really put a great finishing angle and edge on it. Everything is set up on a work table like a process line.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachianoutdoors View Post
Sounds like a lot of work, but its actually faster for me to use a bench grinder to square the cutting edge to take out big knicks, a side grinder to get the rough cutting edge and angle back, then use a Magna Matic sharpener to really put a great finishing angle and edge on it. Everything is set up on a work table like a process line.
That sounds very interesting how about some pics I would like to see the setup you have.

Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)