Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2014, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
Please don't comment if you have no experience in mass home mowings.

TP I think you nailed it on the head. I have to stop offering the free hedge trimming and explain that it was an introductory offer for a limited time. As far as mowing the route in 5 hours, I'm not sure that is possible. Right now I am moving my truck 3 times, 12 houses side by side, 7 houses side by side, and 6 houses with only 2 connected, and it takes around 7 hours. What I shot myself in the foot with is now I have to spend more time on each house cutting the bushes. I kind of set an anchor in the momentum of the day.
Ok, so 7 hours.

But is that with ONE 36" mowers or TWO 36" mowers.

Systems, order of operation and equipment makes a huge difference.

Lets look at the definition:

Order of operations means, what happens first, second third.

Argue how you like, but: Trimming BEFORE mowing takes more time, period.
Same guys who mows an area, trims the area is also faster, because he knows the area and hasn't left something behind (like a swooshed corner) for the other guy… he's not going to do that to himself (at least not after the first few times)

so the order IS MOW, TRIM, BLOW.
not TRIM, MOW, BLOW.

Systems is following the order of operation, Making sure the two cycle mix is always in the same place, whacker string is always done X way, etc etc.

saves a lot of time in the long run.

Want to afford a new truck?
Buy a Velke.
Two 36" mowers on velkes will rock the world of mass small mowing.

Now lets talk about these shrubs…

There is NO way anything, except driving by the house to give a nasty look , takes 5 minutes. It's going to take longer.

But its 25 houses 3 times a season, NOT every single visit.
Don't cry over spilled milk, it may reap you benefits down the line as people realize they want their shrubs done too (but now have to pay_
So consider it an investment.
Do those free shrubs like someone paid you $1000 to do it.
They need to look awesome.
Don't fly through them like they mean nothing to you.
Because you know what YOU are paying for the privilege to do those shrubs.
so do them nice.

Not every investment reaps benefits, but you are committed to the investment with no refunds. So give ti all you got.

3 times a year isn't going to kill you all that bad.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern79 View Post
How do the numbers work out with slow/no pays? Do you collect in advance to be on this program?
Posted via Mobile Device

Well… he should collect in advance… but…I'm sure that not happening.

But to be fair if you charged $100 per lawn or $16 per lawn, how does the math work out if they don't pay??

Like crap, no matter how much you charge, right?

Charging more doesn't make the fact they are a no/slow pay any sweeter.
In this case, I would cancel fast.

a certain percentage of any mowing list has no/ slow pays.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Update. I'm up to 30 accounts and growing every day it seems like. Maintenance is now getting even trickier. Friday is filled with 25 accounts and Thursday has 5 in the neighborhood. I screwed up by scheduling everyone on Friday when I should have scheduled everyone on Monday and let the rest of the week fill up. Now I have to work backwards on the schedule. Other than the scheduling issue the jobs are actually becoming very profitable from extra work. 500 bales of pine straw, a couple small installs, and a $140/visit hoa.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 05-18-2014, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Update. I'm up to 30 accounts and growing every day it seems like. Maintenance is now getting even trickier. Friday is filled with 25 accounts and Thursday has 5 in the neighborhood. I screwed up by scheduling everyone on Friday when I should have scheduled everyone on Monday and let the rest of the week fill up. Now I have to work backwards on the schedule. Other than the scheduling issue the jobs are actually becoming very profitable from extra work. 500 bales of pine straw, a couple small installs, and a $140/visit hoa.
Good job

People on lawnsite will never understand this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2014, 04:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
oh let me sit back in my rocking chair a minute and chuckle.

Oh no! it can't be done!

Oh no! voodoo math!

no not really, been there done that.

The armchair vibe on this website needs to go away.
Dudes with opinions and no experience on a specific matter.

Keep growing, it will continue to pay off.

AS for the day of the week thing.

Friday is a premium day, it's always worth more,
you took your lowest price and gave them your best day.

As you grow into new crews, don't do this again.

save $16 for wednesday, $28 or $30 is friday, people balk at that price no biggie, I can put you on thursday for $22 or Weds for $18, which would you like?
everyone wants friday because its right before the week end when they are actually going to use or look at their lawn.

the only other reason for day scheduling is when it works for YOU.

If you get a full week in there, try jumbling around clients, just contact them next year about rising costs of doing business, but you can keep them at the same price if you put them on X day (whatever works for you)

But I wouldn't rock the boat right now….
Old 05-19-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It would be great to have a full week schedule, and I think it is completely doable. I really need to get out that second round of flyers. We are still aerating Bermuda so I might end up spreading some flyers for that too at the same time. (Already aerated 200 homes this year so I honestly wouldn't mind keeping it in the garage until next year lol. The money is amazing though)

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 05-20-2014, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I hope you aren't charging $16 for aerating too. The whole point of a loss leader is to get the foot in the door, then charge slightly higher for the upsells than the market price.

People freak out at mowing prices because its every week, so $16 instead of $25, they jump.
then they really don't want to shop everything else so they hand wave everything else…just do it.

so you make up your dough (and then some) on fert, and pine straw and aeration.

If your fert would normally be 42…its 55
pinestraw, triple what you pay for it.
aerating $40? yea…um $60.
nickel and dime them here and there and they will love you for it.
throw a little "free round up" here and there, and make up for it in Plant health care… you get the point.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where did this $16 come from? I'm at 12 visits for $300.

Aeration is $50 a lawn, but I can do a lawn in 15 minutes and typically have 3-4 houses in a row. $$$$. It works out perfectly because I only aerate when it is to wet to mow. Did 22 houses in one day 2 weeks ago with one machine and one guy. Dropped him off.Marked all the homes. Continued on with my route. Picked him up at the end of the day. I need all my days to be that profitable and easy lol. I'd be a rich man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2014, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o311/alexschultz1/Mobile%20Uploads/10264635_10202018430798465_979981884820066558_n.jpeg
Old 05-20-2014, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't worry about it any more, you'll be out of business by June.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.