Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2014, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Power Chute design OCDC Review with Customer Service info.

I just purchased the power chute from Norm last week and was skeptical after reading some very good reviews and some not so good reviews about motor failure. I had to do something so I went with the power chute. When I was installing it on my gravely pro turn 260, there were a few minor thing that I did notice. The hole to put the pin through was not drilled out large enough and I had to use a larger drill bit just to install the pin through it. Next, I realized that the bracket was rubbing on some OEM weld on the x factor deck and not allowing it to sit totally flat on my deck, so I had to do some grinding on it just to make It sit flat on the deck. I bolted it to the deck and wired it all up and tried it out. I was impressed how quickly it opened and closed, but was kinda disappointed that it did not want to close all the way OR totally open up all the way..

The disadvantage to it not totally closing all the way is that you get a ton of blowout on the right front of the deck and even though the discharge is blocked, the amount of grass that blows out from under the deck was pretty disappointing. It worked great when mowing next to cars or fences or mulch beds. It helped out a lot in this case.

Another thing I was kinda disappointed in was that when the chute is closed, it really does not mulch the clippings, it simply blocks them from coming out of the chute, and if you are mowing long grass it builds up makes a ridge of grass on the right hand side of the deck about 2" tall that obviously cant be left like that. I kind of expected this to happen but the whole idea of the block off plate is to save time and if you have to go back over and spread out the ridge of grass it just left behind than you really not saving time, you could just be using that time to blow the clippings off whatever you wernt tring to get them on, make sense?

And lastly, I was mowing on Friday afternoon and all of a sudden the thing quit working. When I press on the pedal to lift the chute, all I hear is a winding noise but it doesn't lift it. I have a bad feeling that It already went through a motor and there is no way I am going to be dealing with replacing motors every week on this thing.

I was really starting to like it and I am going to contact Norm on Tuesday morning to see what he is going to do for me. In my opinion the motors should last at least a few years for the money I paid for this power chute (390.00) shipped to my door. I will keep all of you guys posted on what happens. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by gravelyman50; 05-25-2014 at 08:21 PM.