Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-27-2014, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Power stick edger

I've read the previous posts on this topic as I was thinking of getting a 3 wheeled edger. But after reading it seems the majority think the stick edger is more versatile. I maintain 5 acres of fescue lawn around a house and a driveway that is about 300 feet of uneven edge asphalt. I also have about 35 mulched round tree wells and mulched area around the house and small pond.

What are your thoughts on this matter - make and type? I have a Stihl dealer nearby. Except for fertilizing I do the work myself and want a good looking property but also need to control the time involved. I have not been previously edging but my commercial landscaper who does the mulch and fertilizer for me has encouraged me to maintain the edges a little better
Old 05-27-2014, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

We use a stihl stick edger. Being our first year in business we opted to save a little money and bought the residential model. Big mistake! Not enough power and may not make it through the season. Very versatile just not built for the abuse we are putting it through.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a McLane 4-wheel w/Honda power-(upped to 5.5hp) I love it. I usually do a few of my accounts with it early in season (extra service if they opt for it)then maintain rest of summer with trimmer. The wheeled sure leaves a nice edge on walks but obviously not practical for all applications.. but works for me. I had a Stihl stick edger and it did good, but I just enjoy the wheel one better and the extra power helps if getting a new account that hasn't been done in years.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using the Echo PE 266 all season. Paid in the $350. range and it's been able to cut fresh edges for me and maintain edges nicely and with ease. Good machine and didn't have to spend $500.00 for it. I use the trimmer a lot for edging now days, but this thing does get used every single day for a few properties at least and it's NEVER failed to start with ease for me.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As mentioned above, walk behinds have quite a bit of power. I'm pretty sure the stick edger would do what you want it to do. Especially after you cut your first edge, I think you would be happy to have the stick edger. You can find a used walk behind for cheap now days. But in the long run, I think the stick edger can be just as cheap. Built for commercial use, most of them anyway, and not to mention the cost of blades in the long run. I'm not sure how much the blades are for a walk behind, I'm guessing $5.00?? I order my stick edger blades for about .80 cents a piece.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 600 feet of grass to concrete sidewalk/curb edging that I maintain with a Stihl KM110 with straight shaft edger attachment. The 110 with the solid shaft edger has plenty of power to cut the first edge of the season (an uncut edge is difficult for many stick edgers).

BUT, I'm only using the stick edger against concrete. You're looking to edge against an uneven asphalt edge, and grass/bed transitions.
For the first, I would not consider a steel blade. It will be awful on the asphalt. I'd edge that with a string.
For the second, you want something like a "bed redefiner", not an edger. A very similar tool to a stick edger, but with a more aggressive blade and wider guard.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Some good points here esp. about the uneven asphalt. Have seen the bed redefiner but thought it was over specialized and not useable for my other edging. Trying to minimize the number of tools I need.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmmower View Post
Some good points here esp. about the uneven asphalt. Have seen the bed redefiner but thought it was over specialized and not useable for my other edging. Trying to minimize the number of tools I need.
As mentioned above, use a string trimmer on the asphalt, any blade will not work well next to it. For the beds the redefiner works great and very fast. You won't need multiple tools if you get a Kombi system, you have one power head with different attachments. Echo makes one and Stihl makes one. I can speak for the Stihl as i own the Km130 and it has plenty of power for everything you can throw at it. I have the edger, redifiner, shrub trimmer, string trimmer, blower and chainsaw attachment for it and all work great for smaller jobs like they are intented for.

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..