Register free!

Old 05-25-2014, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Canadian Fertilizer Program

Hi Everyone,
I'm in Canada and just wondering if anyone knows what companies like Green Drop, Dr. Green, Trugreen, Maxigreen and Weedman are using for the mixtures. I have about 20 clients that I'm doing fertilizing and weed control for but I have had one complain already about the weed control not working. I think it is going to take a while since most haven't fertilized before but I see other companies like mentioned above take on new clients and they have almost no weeds.

Our biggest problem here is dandelions. So in spring we put down a 30-0-3 granular fertilizer and about 2 weeks later dandelion season hit, so we went out and spot sprayed but most of the lawns needed almost all the lawn covered they had so many. We used Trillion Herbicide and mixed it at the proper 60ml per 10Litre of water. I used it on my lawn as well and it killed all the dandelions that are present which is what it is suppose to do but I have say 2 different ones come back but I have a pretty health lawn. I went and looked at some of the customers and the dandelions were browning and closing up days after it was applied but a week later I went back and new ones are coming up. I will be fertilizing again in 10 days for the next application of fertilizer and I was going to put down another granular with spot spraying as well.

I know weedman is using granular then they spray the next month then granular then spray the next month then granular so that is the 5 apps for the season. The first app they put down was a 25-0-4 but again I look at some of their signs everywhere and don't see the amount of weeds my clients have.
I also know that Trugreen is using Trillion for the weed control but that only kills post emergent weeds.

Just wondering if anyone knows what they are using in their tank mixes, I'm okay with switching to all liquid to see better results but want to make sure it is going to work. Am I over reacting because 90% of my clients haven't fertilized more then once a year and their lawns will require 3-4 applications before we see results or am I don't something wrong. I know my neighbor pulled his dandelions one day and the next morning had 10 new ones pop up.
I have someone across the street using Green Drop and they have for year and have a few dandelions but nothing like my customers.

I talked to different fertilizer/herbicide suppliers and one said they didn't have and pre-emergent just post emergent, the other said corn glutten granular fertilizer will work as they kills the seed from growing but that is a very expensive option and they said it could take 2-3 years till you see really nice lawns as its slow working.

so any idea what these companies are using?
Also any idea of some pre emergent weed control that can be used on lawns?
Am I expecting too much for these clients too soon, I'm also worried about using too much Trillion as you should only use it twice a season but spot spraying is okay but some customers is their whole lawn that needs spraying.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are in Canada--as I understand it--not much choice--modern herbicides are forbidden, even if low in toxicity--except for sports fields and golf courses.

But you can hand pull a few--AND--you can mow the dandelions. The spring bloom only lasts about 3 weeks. Mow short if you need to.
Then--stimulate thickness in the grass with heavy fertilizer--and mow tall to reduce weed invasions.

Also try to thicken the grass with modern varieties of grass seed that are the thicker, more weed resistant types. Take a look at Pickseed West and other seed company websites and look for cultivars that claim to grow tight or thick--or claim to resist weed or poa invasion. A large seed distributor should be able to advise you. You probably want to sod or overseed with a sports-type grass. Dark green, tight, dense, disease resistant.