Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2014, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

how many hours for a zero turn?

for a mower that is used everyday all week what is the most hours you will typically get before you start running into major problems with them?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Way too many variables, some are shot around 1500 hours, others 2500-3000 hours still run smooth and strong. Many people on here have mowers with 3000-4000 hours being used regularly on original drive trains.

If looking for a low cost commercial ZTR you will most likely have to find one with over 2000 hours. The key is to find one that was owned and operated by the owner, not a fleet machine that had multiple users, most of which may of been entry level workers who don't care about the job much less the machine.

A major problem can be defined as many things depending on your knowledge of the machine and mechanical skills. What can put you out of service for several days because you don't know what is broken or how to fix it can be a minor repair fixed in the field or the same day by someone else. Having a relationship with a good shop or mechanic can help, someone who knows you do this for a living and will work to get you back up and running as quick as possible.

The big ticket repairs are generally the engines and hydros. Engines around 2K, hydros $500-$700 each ballpark price.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. We've had tons of mowers but I don't know what the normal hours on them are for the life. But we have three right now. One with 600 hours, one with 1300 and another with 1500. I'm just curious about how far they'll go. The higher ones are lesco ztwo mowers and the lower one is a john deere 930a.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyz1 View Post
Thanks. We've had tons of mowers but I don't know what the normal hours on them are for the life. But we have three right now. One with 600 hours, one with 1300 and another with 1500. I'm just curious about how far they'll go. The higher ones are lesco ztwo mowers and the lower one is a john deere 930a.
Posted via Mobile Device
This question is like asking someone how long they will live...Your friend may buy a mower off the assembly line that gives no problems to speak of up to 3000 hrs. You may buy the exact same mower that came off the assembly line directly behind his that starts nitpicking you to death at 1500 hrs. It's all in the luck of the draw.

Gravely makes an exceptionally good mower, yet there is a gentleman in this forum with a relatively new 460 that has 335 hrs. and his right side hydro began leaking today. He made the statement, "I don't know how a sealed hydro can just start dripping," but anything made by man can give problems.

American people have a tendency not to pay as much attention on the assembly line on certain days, and that could come from how hard the night before may have been.

Your mowers at 1300 and 1500 if you've had no problems may give you good service for quite a while yet, then again, you could get on one tomorrow that leaves you sitting with a hydraulic, or engine failure.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Very well put. That all does make sense. I guess maybe the question I should ask is what's the farthest with a daily used mower that you went and what brand? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyz1 View Post
Very well put. That all does make sense. I guess maybe the question I should ask is what's the farthest with a daily used mower that you went and what brand? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I've seen several Bobcat mowers with Kohler engines run 4000+ hrs. before engine work was needed, and the mowers were still in good shape, but well maintained. I know people that have put 6 to 7 thousand hours on Scag mowers, but not with the same engine. I've seen 10,000 hrs. on a Grasshopper diesel mower, and all the ones I've mentioned have had units that gave trouble early on as well. There is no rhyme or reason why one mower will give exceptional service, and the next one off the assembly line is a lemon and gives nothing but trouble.

To tell you how long you can expect a mower to run and give good service is something no one can do. I could probably come as close to catching a 5 gallon bucket of Hummingbirds as giving you an accurate answer to that question.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

It just sucks that that is how it is
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2014, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know as I would use the term "sucks," it's more about the cards you are dealt in life, sometimes you get good cards in the hand your holding, but you can also count on your share of bad cards coming your way.