Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2014, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

K app on warm season turf

I'm wondering the importance of a stand alone K app. Is there any evidence on the benefits of this? I think I read that it helps with centipede.

I'm just trying to get more N added into my program on Bermuda. I currently do 2 lbs per year and then 1.25 lb K app.

I get K at every Fert app throughout the year and Hebert seen many with a K deficiency.

I currently Fert with high N in April and June. Then a high K app in August as the turf slows down headed into dormancy te first of October.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The latest research has shown that there is no benefit to adding extra K beyond the optimum level (between 61 and 100# K/A) isn't adding anything beneficial to the plant.

This is especially true in the fall. For years, fertilizer salesmen conditioned unsuspecting LCOs to apply K (sometimes a heavy application) in the fall as a "winterizer" to help guard against disease and winter damage. However, research has told us (for more then 60 years) that this is not the case. All you need is a soil test K level to be between 60 and 100# K/A and you'll have as much protection as K can give you.

If you're at or above 60# K/A, then adding more K does nothing for your plants and simply drains money out of your wallet.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good point, Skip.
K is usually water soluble. So add a little potash with every application to keep the soil levels adequate. Sandy soils lose K rapidly, if rain or irrigation is heavy.

Potassium loss is even faster if your CEC is below 10.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I'm wondering the importance of a stand alone K app.
If you need it, apply it, especially if you are seeing signs of K deficiency. The sufficiency range for tissue K in most turfgrasses is ~1-3%.

References for you with regard to soil testing and fertilizer application rates.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/a...ns/fertil.html

http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/extension/ext-fert.html