Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-27-2014, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds good. And I'm FAR behind, but I'm not complaining about the rain, we needed it badly! And just let me know I'm on here all the time at night or days like this. You can PM me or just post a post and I'll see it. I won't be buying a new mower until I have a buyer for both of mine. I honestly don't know that I want to even upgrade. I would love to have a 36" hydro but I'm worried about fitting it in gates. My 34" fits through all the gates and they don't make them anymore. Sometimes I tell myself, I'd replace all the belts, pulleys, cables, engine and everything on mine if it came down to it before I'd purchase another!

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget, if you find a mower to go look at, I'm sure you can find a good mechanic that would want some extra "easy bucks" to come and inspect a mower and all it's parts that might need future replacement for a cheap cost. $50.00 would be fair for an inspection in my books. I mean if I was to ever buy a used car, I pay $100.00 for a full thorough inspection, I think paying for one for a mower might be a good idea if you don't know what to look for.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a 36" Gravely for $650 on CL, but I'm pretty sure it won't fit through all the gates. I've been focusing on smaller lawns so it's possible I could use a 30" for a while. A walkbehind might almost be a little overkill; I won't know until I use it. But eventually I will want a larger mower, so I don't limit myself to small lawns.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 05-27-2014, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
I saw a 36" Gravely for $650 on CL, but I'm pretty sure it won't fit through all the gates. I've been focusing on smaller lawns so it's possible I could use a 30" for a while. A walkbehind might almost be a little overkill; I won't know until I use it. But eventually I will want a larger mower, so I don't limit myself to small lawns.

The 30" does great on small lawns. And from my understanding you net more when you focus primarily on "small" or "postage stamp" lawns. But like you said, there is a time when you get tired of walking and will probably want the walk behind or velky. Either would be a large upgrade from what your using though and I think you would be much happier with either. Just try them and see what you feel would work best for yourself and your business. I think if I had all "smaller" properties I would have stuck with the 30". But I was missing too many customers with larger lawns that I didn't look forward to "pushing" hence the reason I went with the walk behind.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post

I checked out the 36" Gravely Pro on there, not sure if your talking about the same one for $750.00. As for fences, their all different. The 32" would fit for sure and the 34" fits for sure with ease as long as you lift the shoot of coarse. The problem I hate is when you have customers that put "pallets" with trash cans or whatever on top of them right when you open the gate.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you actually measure all your gates? You don't know how wide they are until you actually measure them!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXN1EL View Post
Have you actually measure all your gates? You don't know how wide they are until you actually measure them!

There's truth to that. They are all different. If you can fit, a 36" would be the way to go. The 34" was the answer to me, because I don't worry about NONE of the gates. But don't forget to calculate the width of the mower you purchase also. Some 36"'s are truly wider than 36".

Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How many accounts do you have total? Average size of lawns?
Old 05-28-2014, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how many accounts I have because nobody will commit to a schedule. Probably 8 at the most right now, but we just had a lot of rain, so I might be getting more soon. Average lot size is around 8000 SF. It's too early to go checking the gates because I don't have enough to get a larger mower yet anyway. The reason I started looking at a 30" mower is because people said I was taking too long on the lawns with my 21". But, the first time I mow them it's probably going to take longer.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT