Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-27-2014, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

60 is fine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You'd be better off with the Outlaw for wide open mowing than the Pioneer in my opinion. See if they would let you demo it first to see if it can handle that amount of grass. I agree with what others are saying, if you can't justify a diesel what about a liquid cooled Kubota, or Outlaw if they have them yet. You will know either way after you demo a ztr whether it will handle it. I agree with the post about the Scag Velocity deck it is more open for cutting heavy grass like you get. Look at Tacoma's post he lives in Kentucky I think and uses Scag.
Otherwise Gravely would be worth looking into too. See whats in your budget and demo.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 05-27-2014, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The Super Z with flex forks would be a good fit for that kind of "pasture" mowing but, like Ridin' said, you may get clumping and or windrows. As far as cutting nice lawns well, if you can pick your timing ie, dry grass, then it might give a good finish but you really need to demo to see.

Best all rounder cutting rough areas to nice lawns would arguably be the Scag TT due to the build quality and deck but, from what I hear the ride isnt that great. I dont know what seat they have on them these days.
Cutting rough ground really takes it out of your back so, the next best option IMO would be the Scag Cheetah. Has the same deck as the TT but also has the ride!

I would bush hog or mow with the tractor first and then a week later clean it up with the ztr and mow with the ztr from then on. A few mows and it will probably look like turf!
I would also go for a 60" deck machine as if you miss a few weeks due to rain or what ever, the 60" will cruise through the long grass easier than the 72". You wont need the largest HP engine with the 60 either meaning fuel savings. But theres no replacement for displacement so a large engine running a smaller deck is great for cutting longer grass.

At the end of the day, you need to demo them all in all the sorts of conditions you expect to encounter. Its the only way to see what works best. Remember, what may work one week may not the following week after rain!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Ok, cheers guys! Its friday and I dont want to go near the bloody mower again until next week! I will mess around with those spark plug wires then though. cant hurt!

Ive done a little work this morning, let it heat up and idle and it "seems" to be idling better since I tightened that connection. I think! Will know better next week.

Another issue, probably related is that when I go from idle to full throttle, quickly, theres a splutter. Its fine once it all catches up. If I move the throttle slowly, no problem.

Oh Friday, how I love thee! Count down from 10 and Ill be sitting in the sun, having a beer and listening to some tunes!
Ready…10... 9…8…….
This sounds a bit simplistic so forgive me in advance. Could the problem(s) be related to quality of fuel?
Just a thought.
DC
Old 05-27-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
This sounds a bit simplistic so forgive me in advance. Could the problem(s) be related to quality of fuel?
Just a thought.
DC
I doubt it! I use 95+ fuel and fill up generally twice a week.
Carb etc has all been cleaned, valves adjusted a few times, the idle jet (or whatever its called has been checked and cleaned.
Thanks for the thought though!
Old 05-28-2014, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Went out to look at the Outlaw again, and am having that brought out for testing this week.

Additionally, there's a used Scag with a 61" Advantage deck and a 25hp Kawa engine (400 hours - it's a 2005) that fits my price point. I know I've seen good things about the Velocity deck, but is the Advantage baffled tightly so that taller grass would be a problem, or should this be on my list?

I've read many places on this board to "not be afraid of buying a used Scag" - this one was used as a residential mower...guy like me had a few acres, and bought this new in 2005 via financing. Went through a divorce and now needs to sell (she got the land, he got the mower). Only used to mow his property.

Thanks again, I'm totally green at this and trying to get the best machine for my money.
-Scott
Old 05-28-2014, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handcuff View Post
Thanks for the feedback, and our goal would be to mow every week for areas immediately by the house, every two weeks for most of the rest. It's a yard, but not a manicured lawn right now. After a year or two of working on it (regular mowing, seeding, etc), I think it will become more of a softer/plush lawn. Anything that's less often than that (i.e. the back pasture) would be done with the bush hog.
I did look at the diesel Kubota, but can't justify the cost - I have a Kubota tractor, and if I were wanting to move in that direction, I'd get a bit bigger tractor and a batwing bush hog...I've thought about the 72 inch, but thought that the maneuverability of the 54-60 inch may be better than the additional cut width of the 72. Still deciding on that.
You would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't look at a Scag Cheetah. Fast and comfortable. Whatever mower you decide on, make sure you demo them first. Cutting reclaimed pastures on some mowers will bounce you out of the seat. The Cheetah is the most comfortable for me, but any name brand mower, with hp over 30 , and a good suspension seat or platform should do the job.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handcuff View Post
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Went out to look at the Outlaw again, and am having that brought out for testing this week.

Additionally, there's a used Scag with a 61" Advantage deck and a 25hp Kawa engine (400 hours - it's a 2005) that fits my price point. I know I've seen good things about the Velocity deck, but is the Advantage baffled tightly so that taller grass would be a problem, or should this be on my list?

I've read many places on this board to "not be afraid of buying a used Scag" - this one was used as a residential mower...guy like me had a few acres, and bought this new in 2005 via financing. Went through a divorce and now needs to sell (she got the land, he got the mower). Only used to mow his property.

Thanks again, I'm totally green at this and trying to get the best machine for my money.
-Scott
If you want your son to do some mowing, and just the fact that your talking about pasture grass, I think you should look at a little more engine. The Advantage deck didnt rate very well so I would give that a miss as well.
Id pass on that machine!
Old 05-29-2014, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks again for the input, I really appreciate it.

I went to drive the Scag 61" Advantage (2005 model) and it was in very good condition. He was willing to take $4,500 for it, which (based on your comments) may be high for a machine that isn't exactly what I need.

I went to talk to the local Scag dealer to get the sales pitch on Scags and found that they are having a promotion on their machines. The promo and financing available puts a new Scag Tiger Cat 61" Velocity deck, with the 23.5 Kawa engine within my price range. The big question: Is this machine a good one for my needs? It has 3 different engines available (Kohler, B&S, Kawa) of which the Kawa is the 'smallest' - but it seems that the Kawa engine has basically equal torque and is the 'more desirable' engine from reading these posts.

Given Scag's fine reputation and history, this seems to be a top pick for me. I don't have the $2k more to invest in the Cheetah (sure looked good though), or the Tiger Turf. Based on what I've read, the Tiger Turf seems like a good machine for the rougher terrain.

I'm going to look at the Hustler Super Z line also...have a dealer close to where I work downtown, and from what I've read on here, it appears that their deck is similar to the Velocity deck, and their mowers have a higher power rating (30+ hp).

I'm testing a few of the mowers over the weekend, but some won't let me actually 'mow' ('you can drive it on your property to see how well it will ride, but don't mow with it'). Still looking for information and welcome any feedback.

Thanks,
-Scott
Old 05-29-2014, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you'd be at all happy with that sized engine (23.5) unless all the grass is cut down to at least 5" or less first, and then kept at or below that height. Do that, and the Scag will be fine.

The SZ will run you what a Scag TT give or take a little. The V+ has a much better rep than the VX4 for clean cutting with 60" and smaller decks. Both the TT and the SZ with a 35 HP engine will burn some fuel. Just some more food for thought.